Boy did I mess up

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Spent 4 hours today cleaning every little spec of dirt off the Banana Boat and the trailer. Some spots weren't coming off so I flipped to the other side of the worn out sponge that had more of a rough backing to it. Didn't realize it in the bright sun but I scratched up the coat in the places I rubbed pretty hard. It's not noticable unless you really look at it but I know it's there. I am so stupid sometimes. Bummed....

Teri, Next time try Purple engine degreaser, spray on a little, let it stay on for just a second, and wash off! Don't let it stay on for long the stuff will eat through wax. it works, good stuff, Don't know what fixes scratches! KB

Sorry to hear this. I am bummed with ya. However, thank God it does not take a perfect (shinny)? boat to catch fish, else all I would be catching is crabs. Robert

No comments about the crabs Mac or Me!

Try Mother's Clay Bar. It's pricey at $15 but this stuff works wonders.

B/R

Wildwood

Teri--It shouldn't be any different than paint on a car.A little polishing compound and a coat of wax,and you should be as good as new.

Steve

Try that GS-27 or 29 or something like that.. I have a tube of it in my Boat up in Oregon... Been using it for about 5 years now.. Works great!! I use it on my Boat, Truck and the Wife's car.. I think it would take care of any of those minor scratches your talking about..

Max

I have had really good luck with 3M's Prep Team Liquid Polish, p/n 051144-05939. I have not used it on gel coat (and I wouldn't hestitate) but it has been great on my vehicles. It does take some elbow grease on deeper scratches. Follow direction if you get it. I got mine from a Chevrolet dealership that was in the family.

Good Luck

Teri,I work in a bodyshop and we buff boats. Just take a buffer and compound and it will look good again or have your local shop do it. Ken

Ken -

Do you use a "polishing" or a "rubbing" compound?

I assume polishing.

Teri -

If you use a buffer, be sure to use a low-speed buffer intended for this purpose and not just an attachment for a drill. (They are inexpensive to rent at any general rental sort of place.) Also be careful to not use too much pressure or to use the edge of the pad; it's pretty easy to gouge into the paint/gelcoat if you do.

me!

As per Me's advice,if it is a few small spots,just buff it by hand.Bad things can happen with an electric buffer if not used properly.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the brand of polish compound and where to get it? I tried wax and it didn't help.

Try 3M's Fiberglass restorer and wax (it is all in one bottle). It is what I used to get the heavy oxidation off of my boat. A rubbing compound with wax in it. Easily done by hand but you have got to put some elbow grease on it (no more than you did to scratch it though). Your other option is to find some 3M Fine Cut rubbing compound. That is what I am looking for right now. A fiberglass guy told me it was the best on the market.

TOXIC

WallyWorld in the automotive department.

You'll find the polishing compound with the waxes.

Any brand will do!

Teri A good compound then a wax will do. Gelcoat is a hard coating so you shouldn't have any problems buffing. Use a slow speed buffer 2500rpms or less. Ken

I would not use automotive rubbing compound designed for clearcoats (even though it is softer than a gelcoat) for a marine application. Just my preference.

TOXIC

Tox -

They are very likely the same thing! Just different packaging so that we end up with two bottles on our shelves rather than just one! It's "marketing" and the American Way! LOL!!

me!

Back