Bought a Hobie Outback Fish Kayak

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, a new Hobie Outback Fish Kayak came home with my wife on Thursday. We had been talking about one for awhile, and she finally made the decision that she wanted one. She got it, along with the accessories she wanted (sail + misc stuff), and it took up our dining area/living area for most of the last 4 days.

We got it out to a State Park lake yesterday afternoon. The seat and mirage drive were not adjusted properly (just takes time), so when I first got in it, it wasn't working for me AT ALL. We both like to be sitting up more erect, so we had to get the soft seat adjusted properly. And that is something that we virtually had to do 'on/in the water'.

The same for the pedal drive unit. It was not adjusted to our leg length at all. That's a little easier to do while in the boat, but I did most of that adjustment standing beside the boat at shore.

The 'dunk' count is 1 to Zero, on my side. Judy never got 'in' the water/capsized. I did it almost immediately. The boat was in the water and I got it and was trying to get used to the balance (which if you haven't done this, takes a bit - like trying to learn how to ride a bike for the first time). I had been in it for about 1 1/2 minutes when I leaned a little too far left. Judy saw the kayak leaning, and tried to pull up on the bow line and beach it more. That makes it considerably more unstable. Over I went.

No fishing as yet, since we are still simply trying to get used to the mechanics and balance of the unit. However, it looks like it's going to be a great boat. The dvd that came with it, shows some of the Hobie Staff fishing all over the US. Surf fishing, lake, river, big water. In fact, shows catching a large halibut up in Alaska from one.

headerimage_outbackfisherman.jpg

Tex

Holy new Boat Batman!!

Great idea Tex! I bet you and Judy will have years of fun in that!! I want pic's of you in it, and see if you can figure out how to get it into a duffle bag for Canada next year!

COOL!!

Actually, I thought about that a lot. It weighs 68 pounds empty, so I certainly don't want to give up that much weight on the plane.

I think once I get tuned into the balance, it will be fine. Right now, still trying to get comfortable. Now, if I lost about 60-75 pounds . . . . . . .

Tex

Back