BOATS FROM TOURNAMENT PROS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Lea.

Reaction score
As we go into winter the boat/sport shows will be starting up. Every year we go and look at the fishing/hunting goods and buy our fair share. Then we move over to look at the boats in case there is a good enough deal to encourage us to upgrade. Now the last few years we have ran into an "interesting" sales pitch. You guys are around these things more than us and it appears there are more than a couple of tournament fishermen here.

What we have been seeing is guys in the dealers booths that are tournament fishermen and they are selling new boats at what seems to be a reduced price. The catch is you buy it and they use it to fish out of for the season then at the end of the year they call you and you get to come and pick up your "tournament fished" boat. Is this something that people actually do? :huh::huh: You buy it, they use it, then turn it over to you at the end of the year. We always walk away shaking our heads but was curious if this is something you tournament fishermen really do?

I've heard of people on a boats team that order the boat at a buddies or another fisherman's specification, then they use it for the year and sale it to their buddy/another fisherman.

I havent heard of them actually being at the boat show and trying to have somone "buy" their boat and they turn it over to them at the end of the year even tho its the same as what i had said above.

Its a good idea though!

BJ

Ed, I am a Nitro State Team member... I am going to try and PRE Sell my next boat... You pick the colors and options you want... give a non refundable deposit, after a year you take possesion of the boat... not that unusual!!

KB

Most that are State Team or Pro-Staff with boat companys are required to sell their boat every year or 2 (Skeeter used to be the exception). It is a great way to get a newer boat with the discount built in. You get to choose the colors/options/etc., It is the preferred way to do it. Teddy is on the National Team and he has a waiting list for his boats. Been doing it that way for over 10 years. And contrary to popular belief, pro's/guides/tournament fishermen do not trash their boats.

TOXIC

Tx/pro boats like that can be a good deal if they are taken care of. I have one and it is da bomb!!!!! I did not pre order it, but I am SUPER happy with the color choice anyway!!!

That in addition, I would have NEVER been able to afford the boat new.....

Thanks Mac!!!

my next door neighbor is on Ranger pro staff and is required to get a new boat every year he pre sells his boat like kb says you pick the colors and options you want and he orders the boat the way you want it he usually gets a $5000 non refundable deposit I think he sells them for too much but I dont know the prices on a Ranger because I never was that impressed by a Ranger I do know that when he lets go of them they look like new he takes them back to the factory and they completly ro do them

JD

Greg - Happy Thanksgiving, and you HAVE to post more, get more "Tails from the Trail" to Rich so he can post them! It's one of the ONLY way's us little guys can FEEL part of the Pro's life!

Keep cranking dude!!

Thanks for all the info folks. It was very interesting and informative. Hopefully there are more of us guys that are weekend fishermen that didn't know this practice was out there. i hope I am not the only one that hadn't heard about this.

One more question from the unenlightened among us if you will. I keep hearing about this Nitro state team and the guys getting thier boats, what is that all about anyway?

In a nutshell, it is a discounted boat in return for time spent at the dealer selling NITRO's (or any TM product). There are different levels of sponsorship from NITRO which equates to differing levels of discount and different requirements. Just don't ask specifics here. If you are interested go to your dealer (State Team are dealer sponsored) and ask about their program.

TOXIC

Ok I see how you are (Greg) you have time to lurk here, but don't reply to my e-mail. May the birds of winter pee all over Red Bluff, CA.............:lol: Your just not happy because you were not invited to the Hot Side on Dec 3rd.............

BF

Yes Ranger does IT...You order what you want and you get It after the season at considerable discount.....JR:D

Darn right!! I've got a Z20 LOADED available right now....mint condition (6 mos old!!) $37,000.:wacko:

Mac

Will send pix's and info to anyone interested:rolleyes:

Back