Boatbuckle retractable transom tie downs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh, I'm not sure about the "Boatbuckle" brand, but I bought a set of "Rod Saver" brand retractable transom tie downs at Walmart for $44.96. I was very pleased with them and plan on purchasing another set soon.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Bass pro has the rod saver ones on sale right now for like $40. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

I have the stainless steel boatbuckles on my trailer and IMHO the stainless ones are the way to go. I had a set of regular ones rust up and corrode in a season, the stainless ones work perfect after 3 and counting.

I've had the boatbuckle brand for 6 years on 2 boats/trailers. I have heard second hand that the Rod saver brand are not (at least initial product a year or 2 ago) were not as good quality wise (folks bought and brought them back as they would break) as the boatbuckles.

I got my first set of boatbuckles at BPS on sale for $39 years ago, have you done a good web search for sale prices? ebay?

I plan on buying the stainless boatbuckle brand. The question I have is do they mount right in the existing buckle brackets on the Nitro trailers? I don't have a picture of my trailer but will put one up later to help clarify. The brackets on my trailer are on the back of the rear running board and are angled out a bit.

Paul

Paul

i mounted mine on those brackets. I did have to bend them in slightly to make the strap pull straighter. A pair of channel locks was all it took to bend them in a little. I also had to drill the hole in the bracket out a little bit to fit the bolts that the boatbuckles use.

BTW if you know anybody that has a welder have them put a tack weld on the nut. I had one of mine stolen last year at the squam ramp. Needless to say i wasnt happy but since i carry the regular straps in case i break one etc i was able to get home. A tack weld will make it difficult but not impossible to get off, hopefully enough to stop a petty thief. I did mine after i replaced the missing one.

Paul - Don't know about your Nitro sport but for my Tracker 175 and my Nitro 700lx they just bolted directly to the existing brackets on the trailers with no bending or changes.

They do sell a bracket (or did) if the angle isn't right based on basic/standard mounting.

Thanks guys. I'm getting my boat out of storage and will post a picture so I know for sure about what I may need to deal with. I think JimB has the same but will post to make sure.

I got a pair off of ebay last year for $25.00. Just do a search for "boatbuckle" and see if any pop up.

I bought the stainless steel versions last year and it was one of the best upgrades I have made on my boat/trailer. Still look new after a year and so easy vs original buckles. I will never be without them again. Sounds like a good idea to put a tack weld on for safe keeping. I had to make a couple of offset brackets to mount properly on my PT175, but no big deal.

Back