Boat Trouble

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I went fishing today for a couple of hours just out to a local lake. I had a nice fish on but it got off in the brush...bummer

Now for why I posted. I stopped to fish today and when I went to go to a different area I sat down turned the key and nothing..no gauges came on no enging cranking nothing...The only thing that seemed to work was the trim on the engine. I used the trolling motor to get back to the dock. I am going to run it into Bass Pro sometime next week unless it is jus something simple you can tell me about.

Thanks

BJ

Check your fuses before hauling it to the dealer. Could be an in-line fuse near the battery or under the dash. Considering your trim worked but nothing at the console that is my best guess. Even if the batt was too drained to turn over the engine you would get some reading at the guages. Good luck

--Corey

Did you make sure the kill switch had not been tripped? and the shifter was in neutral?

BF

BJ,

If your motor is a Merc, the ignition runs through a fuse on the left side of your motor, if the fuse is loose then your ignition won't get power. I had a similar problem with mine last season...totally dead except the trim, found the fuse loose so i slightly pinched the crimped ends of the wire and it worked from then on.

Tight Lines

Eric H.

Shifter or fuse or battery terminal/cable is a good check...My 9 will turn over with the kill switch tripped, just won't fire.

TOXIC

I think the Merc has 3 fuses under the cowling. I'm not sure what each one does without a manual, but I carry at least 3 spare fuses just in case. Your problem sounds like a bad power connection somewhere or a main circuit fuse is bad.

Bob G.

BJ also check your cables at the battery for corrosion. I had the same thing happen once and for whatever reason the neg battery nut had come loose and the cable popped off. Why the trim still worked i dont think i will ever know but it did. also check the terminals for corrosion. If you want to check the main motor fuse it is on the drivers side of the motor and should be on a red wire, its a 20 amp fuse.

Last spring I had a hard time getting my boat to start. The first thing I looked at was the kill switch. Yup, it was in place. After a couple hours of diagnosis fun and alienating everybody who came within earshot I just happened to take a closer look at the kill switch. It had cracked right in the middle and spread just enough to disable the motor. Bummer! Sure looked normal when I just glanced at it. Good Luck, Hutch

Back