Boat Re-Fit

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Stivers2

Reaction score
I've got a 1995 Nitro 170DC, 115 Merc. I'm getting ready to replace the puny trolling motor and purchase new electronics for bow mounting. I would like to hear recommendations from all of you as to make, model, etc.

Also considering doing some work to extend the casting platform in the center back to the consoles, leaving some storeage area underneath and moving the from pedestal mount back 12 inches. Just curious if anyone out there has tried this?

I'd appreciate everyone's input.

How much of your money can we spend ?????????:D

12v or 24v trolling motor????

GPS mapping or not ???????

Mike - I've got a '99 700lx with the 115, prior owner (our leader Rich) put a 53lb thrust Motorguide on and i've had no problems, on 5 the thing throws me out of the boat!!

I had a 70 lbs on my old 700lx was great .. I do have a 67lbs MG that came off 901 that is like brand new that I'am selling ?

I've got a '96 170TF (pretty much the same boat as yours, just single console) and it had a MG trolling motor on it when I got it. It gave up the ghost about 3 months after I got it, and I went to a MK All Terrain 55 trolling motor. It is plenty strong enough to pull the boat around. I run it on "3" 95% of the time. I'm thinking of adding another battery with a switch to increase the run time on windy days.

MK Maxxum Pro 80 for the motor

Lowrance X102C for bow mount electronics

Lowrance X332C for dash mount electronics, unless you don't want GPS.... then go with another X102C.

All the best,

Glenn

Back