Boat Purchasing Advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Parker

Reaction score
Here's the deal:

My Mom and Dad want to buy a boat. They want to ride mostly, but on occasion would like to fish. Dad doesn't walk well and has little strenght to "muscle" a boat around or work on it. They are going to have it dry docked, so trailering is not a big deal. It needs to have sides so Dad won't fall in the lake (so a bass boat is out). They would also like to carry friends with them. (total 6 people in the boat). I have owned nothing but bass boats, and they have asked me to find them a boat. Not real sure what type of boat would meet their needs (saftey, dependability, comfort, fishability; in that order). They want to spend around $7000. I found a Hurricane deck boat that looks pretty good. Any help would be appreciated.

I asked them about a pontoon and they don't want one. Storage costs are much higher than a regular boat.

Then you want to find a good deck boat. Great ride and very stable. For that money you are definitely looking at used but their are many out their. Start with the top of the line (Hurricane by Godfrey IMHO). It is JUST like a pontoon except that it has the V-Hull. IF they are dry docking it then you can see if someone has one that THEY also dry docked and didn't purchase a trailer (a big expense if you aren't going to need it).

Good Luck

Bill

I agree Bill. I found a '94 Hurricane Deckboat, 21ft, garage kept, "ex cond" for $7500. Does this sound like a fair price?

Steve - Like Jason said, check out NADA. Look into the upkeep and maintenance on the Deck Boat. Is it an OB or a I/O? Check the hours on the engine and unless you are qualified have someone look at it for you / family to ensure there are no problems, particularly since it is a 12-13 year old watercraft.

Back