Boat pull

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt sanborn

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2000 nitro 700 lx with a 75 horse merc. When I get the boat to plane out it pulls hard, almost to hard to control. If I trim up it seems to get much better, but not like it should be. I have never driven a boat that is so touchy with the trim is this normal or is there something I can do to solve this?

Thanks

Hi Matt,

I had an NX750 that did the same thing. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is hang on. OR - Hydraulic steering / no feedback steering. Mine would almost jerk the wheel out of my hand. It had a 115 on it. You can also try the trim tab on the engine by the cav plate. It helps on plane/at speed to reduce the engine TQ.

Some one please chime in if I am off base here.

Mark

You can also add a torque tab to the skeg of the motor. Those really can help the torque at speed.

there should be a trim tab on the skeg that you can adjust slightly left or right depending on how bad it pulls. i have a 2002 185 tracker with a 75 hp mercury that pulled real bad when i first got it. i moved that little trim tab (it looks like a small fin) according to the manual. i think i turned my slightly to the right. that made the hard pull go away.

make sure to check your manual. it will tell you which way to adjust that trim tab to help offset the hard pull in your steering.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/16/big/18-6012.jpg

The Tab is on the bottom rear of the Cavatation Plate if you have one.

Mark

Had a 1997 700xl withthe 90hp. Felt the same pull. Adjusted tab as discribed above, never an issue again.

I haven't moved mine because when I get on plane there is absolutely no pull:)

Back