Boat has been sitting

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey Carrico2

Reaction score
OK, I have been a bad boat owner...due to some circumstances I have only gotten my boat out about 4 times this year and it is still a 1/4 full of the gas from last season which I did use Seafoam in. Should I just top it off with fresh gas? Do any of you with Seafoam experiance suspect the gas is still good? I suppose I will find out soon enough just thinkin about it now.

Seafoam is a decarbing agent, and I don't think has the stabilizing agents (though I reserve the right to be wrong).

I'll relate the experience I had with my 99 225 optimax. It was a repo, probably sat for 6 months. It started fine on the muffs and all was well. We dragged it down to the lake for the test ride, and idled out of the no wake zone and floored her... she started to plane, studdered and died. I could get her started, but she'd soon die again. I suspected old gas and even asked the guy if we shouldn't go put some fresh gas in it before heading to the ramp, but nah...

We rowed back to shore, luckily, not far.. well, let me re-phrase... HE rowed back to shore.

We got back to the dealership and he rigged up a fuel pump to pump the gas out of the tank, put in some fresh fuel, and voila.

Based upon my experience, I'd strongly suggest you pump out what you can. However, knowing what *I* would do, I'd top the tank off with regular, maybe dump a little 108+ octane boost (to raise the octane of the original gas) and HOPE it worked. Oh, I should also mention that my motor's under warranty :). If you've ever seen Dorf on fishing, I'm Dorf on boats, so if you blow your motor because of what *I* would do, it only serves you right. :(

Well you have already used the boat 4 times this year if there was a problem with the gas you would have known about it....just top it off and you will be fine....

Corey,

Seafoam does have some stabilizing agents... But, I have long ago followed my mechanic's advice... If I am not going to use the boat for two weeks I drain the tank and run it through the truck.. Especially Chicago are "summer blend" gas... Somehow it has more volatile agents...

The gas is from October and I last used it the first week of April. I'll top it off and hope for the best. Greg, do you just siphon it out I assume?

Yes, I just siphon it out into a can and then put it in the truck. My mechanic has definite ideas about old gas, even with stabilizers. And, you know how obedient I am to his advice... I do as he says!

Back