blublocker sunglasses.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried these on the water ?I don't believe the are polaroid.Just wondering.

I tried them on the water but they did not impress me . Good for the sun but did not do much for looking into the water.

I have a pair of Serengetti Drivers w/ perscription lenses which I highly recomend. Cost through the wazoo though. For fishing I prefer my regular no-line bifocals with Fitovers. I'm sure the Fitovers aren't the best money can buy but they work okay for the boat.

Harpo

Harpo - I bought a pair of Serengetti's just out of college, had them exactly 2 weeks when I lost them on the highway! Had the top down my Mustang GT doing about 80mph and turned my head and SWOOSH of they go! So I shop BPS and Walmart for the best deals on polorized fishing sunglasses. I then buy about 6 pairs and figure I loose/scratch 2-3 pairs a year. I'm down to my last pair, waiting for BPS/Walmart to put them on sale again. I realy like the BPS brand, had them 2 winter's ago on clearance for $4.99 each! Though the Bill Dance ones do in a pinch, just can't stomach the $9.99 full price for something i KNOW i'm gonna loose!! LOL

Mine are Maui's and work pretty good, but what I am really interested in is Costa Del Mar's. Anyone out there have any experience with them?????

Okay rub it in guys...I lost my $200 "clip-ons" in WI. You NEED the best you can afford. Take it from someone who is on the water a lot...without good glasses my eyes would be trashed. I have tried many, I have had Serengetti Drivers in the dark tint, Oakley, Wayfarers, Gargoyles, Porshe Design. I am getting a pair of Action Optics perscription glasses next. All of the above were good glasses. My clips were probably the worst. I have heard very good things about the Action Optics. Made SPECIFICALLY for fishermen.

TOXIC

Two sugestions:

Either the "Bat Eyes" from SolarBat or the Wraptors from Elton Optics.

The Wraptors are available in a "Eagle" Color which I understand to be very similar to the blue blocker.

Both have done well for me, and they are'nt as expensive as some.

http://www.solarbat.com

http://www.eltonoptics.com

I spent 22 years as a master optician in a previous life. The most important factor is the lenses be polaroid. These lenses are available in single vision, lined bifocal, trifocal and invisible bifocal. The second most important factor is the lens color. At the retail location where I worked, we sold almost exclusively brown colored lenses. The usual sunglass color is grey for 'netural color transmission'. We sold light green colored lenses for golfers, so as to enhance the greens, yet keep all other perspective the same. We sold yellow lenses for shooters; the yellow color cuts the blue part of the color spectrum and enhances existing light. For anglers, polaroid of course and the brown color follows the 'blue blocker' concept of lessening the transmission of the blue part of the spectrum but not as much as yellow. I have worn brown lenses for 30 years and would never change.

Steve, good info. could you get a little more specific on which color is opitmum for anglers....Brown....Amber...Dark Brown...Light Brown....There are a lot of variations of the Brown spectrum.

Thanks..

TOXIC

I'd like to second Toxics question and ask to expand on the other colors, grey, green and yellow...

are there times to switch lenses, or is there a best "all around" colored lense?

The color I started out back in the day was Cosmetan by American Optical, a glass lens. The lens still appears to be available from American Optical. I am not sure if it is available in prescription or polaroid. The color is an amber color, more brown than yellow. I sold Serengetti's many years ago...spendy then...can't imagine now what they cost. If you wear Rx sunglasses, a smaller experienced retail optical company may be able to match the Cosmetan color by custom dying the lenses...we did this back in the 60s and 70s.

Hope this sheds a bit of light on the subject.

I wear brown colored polaroid sunglasses (Rx) anytime I am outside and the sun is up. I personally do not like grey lenses [because of the enhancing properties of the brown color]. I did some target shooting years ago (22 autoloader) and wore yellow lenses if the sun was not out. The improvement in contrast under low light conditions is impressive...however...I tried wearing them driving at night...a big NO NO. The density reduced visual acuity (the lens blocks 30% of available light) and intensified the available light (oncoming headlights). Another odd result of wearing the yellow lenses for extended duration, when removed my vision was pretty much in black and white until the cones of the retina readjusted to the incoming light.

We sold green mostly to golfers and only with a light green tint; you do not want to interfere with depth perception. If necessary, they had a small bifocal at the bottom of the lens [to make sure the scorecard was marked properly].

I wear plastic polaroid lenses in brown with a flat-top bifocal...wouldn't go any other way.

I failed to mention in prveious post...quick search on google for 'cosmetan' yielded a few sources of American Optical cosmetan sunglasses. Check availability through your local optician or optometrist so they can be adjusted properly.

NitroJJ,

I also wear maui jim's, i wont wear anything else anymore. I have also used Costa's, revo's, hobies, oakley's, all polarized. I like the maui's the best and its for a simple reason. They put a anti glare coating on the inside of the lens. I have sensitive eyes caused by an accient and with the others i would get glare off the water into my eyes from the back side of the lens. i wear tight to the face type glasses and it still happens. With the maui's that problem dosent exist and my eyes dont bother my all day on the water. I am glad I decided to try them it makes a big difference for me.

Whatever you buy get polycarbonate lenses, glass can shatter if its not saftey rated as most sunglasses arent. I was fishing with a buddy a long time ago with glass lenses on and he got a jig stuck in a tree and popped it free, it hit my right lens and the thing shattered. i never saw it coming and i ended up getting glass fragments in my eye. Ever since then my right eye is very sensitive to light. i would much rather replace a pair of $100 glasses every once in a while then have to go thru that again.

I would like to find some higher quality sunglasses than the Fitovers that go over my prescription glasses. I don't like the Serengetti's for fishing because the lenses are heavy and the frames don't give me the feeling that they would stay on my head if I were to lean over (in the unlikly event I ever catch another fish).

Do any of you guys know of some fitover type sunglasses that are of higher quality than the Fitovers?

Harpo

Latest posts

Back