bimini on a bass boat?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Johansen

Reaction score
I am considering building a bimini for my 1993 Nitro 190 DC. Has anyone got one on a similar boat that I can see a picture of, mainly to see if it something that I want to do. I won't be using it while I am fishing, mainly for a sun shade when I have the wife and kids out on the boat for a day of cruising around.

I wouldn't do it. I looked into it myself and decided to go with something a lot less expensive, and less "permanant".

Make a holder in the shape of a large capital "H" with PVC pipe, two PVC "T"s, one PVC cap and a thumb screw. The PVC cap goes at the bottom of one of the H's legs. Place the leg of the H without the cap over the seat pedestal post, and then put the seat back in place as usual. Place a large beach umbrella / patio table umbrella (you can get some good ones at pool supply places) in the other leg, bottoming it out into the cap at the bottom so the pole doesn't scratch up your carpet. Drill a hole slightly smaller than the thumb-screw's diameter into the pvc pipe leg that the umbrella is in, and then screw the thumb-screw into that hole with pliers for the first time - making threads for it. You will have to screw it in, back it out, screw it in, back it out, etc... like you are using a tap. Once you get it through and worked in enough to tighten with your fingers, tighten it around the umbrella handle.

Nice thing - when you move, collapse the umbrella and place it on deck. Strap it down with a rod holder strap. The holder can stay in place, as it doesn't bother anything when running your boat.

You can buy the piece I mentioned above at several spots, but I can make them for about a 1/4 of what they charge for them.

Just another option.

All the best,

Glenn

Steve - I had one on my Pro Crappie Tracker 175, worked great, but it was laid out different. I went with a 2 bow from Bass Pro, was easy to install and came on/off easily with cleavis pins. I don't know how it would mount on a fiberglass boat, as the top cap isn't as flat as my aluminium was in those areas. Also you'd have to make sure it was designed for the speeds you would go if it was up, and ensure it was tilted forward so you didn't get the parachute effect and have it rip off and crack your fiberglass mounting areas...

Wanted one for my Tundra but the only time I'd use it is when the wife was with me. I adapted my golf umbrella to fit in a rod holder. Works fine but she has to fight the dogs for the shady spot. I can't solve everything.

fatrap

Steve - like Trepman, I had a bimini on a PT175. Worked fine. Seen them on glass bass boats too. Mine was mounted just inside the aluminum cap on the carpeted surfaces near the hand throttle and on the passenger side where there was a small lip. Key is to get the right size (so it lays flat on the back of the boat) and angled so that its not a parachute (like Trep noted)! Just got to get over the idea of drilling into your top cap! That said, its done all the time on Fish'nSki's with similar construction.

One of the first additions when I bought my CC Skiff was a two bow Sunbrella bimini top. I mounted the unit with track slides on the gunnels so the shaded area can be moved fore and aft where it's needed. When I remove the two knobs on the rail, the bimini top comes off easy-peasy. I've used it a few times in the past 3-4 years and it has been worth it with the little ones on board. It's also worth it when the big ones are on board! :lol::D

Steve -

I have a NX750 DC and we have a Bimini. I have to have it for my kids. Gets pretty hot here in AZ! It's on a slide track so it can be moved forward and back depending on how you want to use it. It has never got in the way of my fishing up front and is pretty much out of the way when down so the back person can fish. It's great for me to put it up, move it all the way back and the back deck is mostly in the shade so my kids can play and I can still fish! I take it off and put it in the garage when not needed on winter trips. We have even rode in the rain with it and stayed pretty dry. I put a couple pictures in my library.

Mike

As I said I will be building the top so it will fit. I had the same thing in mind as yours, MikeMnAz. I like that design. I just wanted to see one!

Thanks everybody!

Back