Bilge Pump Problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk Schafer

Reaction score
HELP !!!!

I'm having a problem with my bilgepump. It has worked fine up to my last outing on the 4th of July. I noticed it did not work. Looked under console and found the fuse to br blown. Replaced fuse and tried the pump and the fuse blew immediately. Tried to locate pump and found it to be up under the fuel tank about 1 1/2 to 2 feet under the fuel tank. Very hard to get to. Did not want to go at it blind so trying to get some help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kirk

Kirk

I dont know of any easy way to get at it. I dread the day i have to change the one out in my 882. One thing you may want to check is the connectors in the wireing harness. In the battery area there are some blade conectors that connect the pumps to the main wireing. it should be near the transom behind the starting battery. On my boat these connecotrs got extremly wet and corroded and on one of my livewell pumps it caused the pump to blow the fuse. I ended up replacing all the connectors and i also out shrinkwrap over them and dielectric frease in there to prevent furre problems. I wonder if you may have something similar going on.

I would agree, I am fixing to replace some connectors for my pumps due to corrosion. Check these connectors first

What size fuse is it? I had a 3 amp fuse in mine that kept blowing but the shop said it should have been a 7.5.

Kirk -

On my 1996 Nitro 2000DC the pump wasn't anchored in place.

To get it out, all I had to do was disconnect the tubing from the "out" fixture on the inside of the gunwhale and then the pump slid out easily.

me!

me!

In my old boat, after nine years, the original bilge pump started blowing fuses. I put in a new fuse one amp larger, and it worked fine. I don't know, but thought with age the pump might have started causing more resistance and needing a little more juice to work right. Went from, I think, a 3 amp to a 4 amp. I didn't think that little difference would cause any electrical problems.

Glenn

My bad..... That was the livewell pump I was referring to earlier and the connection was at the rear of the transom..... That was two years ago, sorry about the memory lapse.

The bilge pump was where it should be - in the bottom of the bilge right next to the transom. That's the lowest place for water to accumulate. Are you sure you aren't looking at the wrong unit?

ME! on the 882 the bilge area is tight. The pump is for sure under the gas tank. The livewell pumps are more to the back of the boat. I have never had to change mine but i know it will be a real pain to do when i have to.

Back