BFL Results, Grand Lake

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I got home last night from Grand Lake in Northeast Oklahoma. I finished 72 out of 101. I know it isnt too good....

I weighed 1 fish that went 4 pounds 9 ounces.

I'm busy at the moment, i'll post the whole story in a little bit. I just wanted to pop in and say hey.

BJ

That's a nice fish for Grand, though. I fished a 2 day tourney there in the fall of '03, and finished 4th, just losing by 1 1/2 pounds, but both days my limits were between 10 and 11 pounds. I would have blown away the field with a fish like that.

BJ, did you read about the huge fish kill at Terra Maranda on BassZone? Is that where your tournement was?

Harpo

Yeah I read the post. The BFL went out of Martins Landing, they used the trailer to transport the fish to Tera Maranda and release them over there. Because almost everything goes out of Martins now, they have a fish trailer they use to release fish in different areas.

I put in at Tera Meranda that morning to get away from the crowd. I watched weigh in for a while and waited to see what it took to get a check and I talked with a few buddies. When I drove back to Tera Meranda to put on they had the fish trailer over there and they were releasing the fish back into the the lake. I saw probably 50 to 75 dead fish floating around. It wasnt good. There were a ton of fish turned in at the tournament and most were alive. I'd venture to say that the majority of the fish did survive. Thats probably a relatively small number compared to how many fish were turned in. I'm not trying to condone the action but I personally wouldnt worry about it, except I've heard there are a lot of flys in that area :blink::blink:

The BFL does an excellant job of trying to keep fish alive at weigh in. They used the fish trailer provided by Martins Landing to transport it. I've heard that the trailer doesnt have any aeration. I dont know about that for sure.

Here is my take on it. If a fish dies in the boat, its the fishermans fault. If it died in the holding tank its Ivan Martin's fault for not having it aerated (again thats what i've heard, i dont know for sure, i only saw the thing when I gave it to the guy for him to put my fish in it, i wasnt looking to see if it was hooked up to a battery). The BFL does everything possible to keep fish alive at weigh in. They have tanks with hoses to put in your bags to keep them aerated till you weigh in. The fish is only out of the water for a short amount of time.

Also, Saturday was very rough on the lake. Those fish got bounced around a bit in the boat. I'm sure that killed a few fish.

Ultimatly the responsibility goes back to the fisherman for keeping the fish alive. I put ice in my livewell and I need to buy a bottle of rejuvinate to put in there.

Back