Best way to clean mildew off of boat seats?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Muniz

Reaction score
Unfortunately my boat has been sitting in storage for a couple/3 of years due to familial commitments.

It has been sitting out under a fitted cover and has suffered alot due to the elements. (It's a 1993 Tournament TX-17 w/40hp evinrude BTW). I want to get the boat back on the water this year and have alot of work ahead of me.

It will have to go into the shop for some engine work in a couple of months. It needs new fuel lines to the carbs, new fuel lines to the electric primer, probably the carbs cleaned. I'm considering either removing the VRO system or replacing the fuel/oil pump. The system is original and the rubber diaphram is probably in pretty bad shape.

Anyway, I want to start cleaning up the interior. I bought a portable garage to store the boat in and have a dry area to work.

What is the best way to clean mildew off the vinyl seats and what's the best way to clean the carpet?

A mixture of water and bleach. About 1 tblspoon per gallon. I also add a little 'soap' to the warm water mixture.

Use a small sponge (like the scotchbright ones - smooth side/only use the rough side on very stubborn areas) and after cleaning, be sure and rinse/clean off the area with plain water (second solution with different sponge). You don't want to leave the bleach solution on the upholestry.

When I got my Stratos 3 years ago (from Atlanta), it was BAD! Wife and I spent one Saturday afternoon and got it all cleaned up nicely.

Tex

Thanks Tex.. I have a little on mine and have tried a couple of different things to no avail.

I'll try what you suggest.

X10 mildew spray works really well, but it's gotten hard to find.

Power washer works pretty well for the carpet.

For cleaning carpets I have found that ANY of the name brand "dry clean" sprays work very well. I use a still bristle brush to get the stubborn stains up. Vacuum the carpet very well before you apply the dry cleaning spray. Many people like to use a "stain repellant" spray after (such as Scothguard) it is cleaned to make sure that it is easier to clean the next time.

Once clean try not to bring any catfish on deck!!!!! LOL :lol::lol::lol:

Formula 409.... I don't think the world is ready for Formula 410... YET

Bill in VA......that's funny about the catfish. I still have a donut glaze on some of my carpet, trolling motor power cord and front dash area. Those catfish are something else. I usually catch 4-5 nice ones a year using crankbaits for bass fishing.

Bassinboy - Really wasn't trying to be funny. While I like to catch catfish I hate it when they hit the deck and just slime everything. It really is a pain to get off the carpets and everything else.

LOL on the donut glaze! I'll never look at a glazed donut the same after that comment.

Another product to try is Soft Scrub w/ bleach. It isn't as harsh as the straight bleach and water suggested and does a great job. I also use Soft Scrub with Orange as well. Both work great on every part of the boat (though I haven't tried it on the carpet) ;)

Back