Best tow vehicle's in the GMC/CHEVY group selling FORD!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
I've decided to sell the F150 4x4 and go for a tow vehicle that will tow a 6x8 inclosed trailer for work and the boat when needed.(no not at the same time) it must also be able to seat 6 .and have better gas mileage than the Ford at 10 mpg with no trailer! I own a Safari van and it never gives me any trouble. So over to the darkside I go !!

But which vehicle can fill the bill.[ need input ]

I should mention that I need to buy slightly used. around 2000 I never take the first hit. To many kids in the family and something has to give somewhere!!

Mark,

What... Hey wait a minute... My 2001 5.4L F-150 SuperCrew gets way better mileage than 10... I averaged 12.5 - 13 towing the boat... I just recently ran from Chicago to Hayward and Back towing the boat and got 11.5 average for the whole week...with five adults and gear for a week in the truck plus the boat...running out for Pizza... etc..

And, the new 2004 F-150 is even better... 35 more hp new engine virtually 24 valve... better ride and suspension new steering... rack and pinion...

Think it over....

I'm gettin' 16 MPG pullin' my boat with my 94 Silverado...yeah think it over again.

TEE

Without a doubt,...a Suburban!! Like a Rock baby!!! It's no mystery why Chevy sponsor's the BASS and FLW tours,...

It's the ONLY truck they want!!..LOL

Mac

Trailblazers Rock! I' ve been wantin' one of those straight six pullin' monsters since they come out. 260 HP out of a inline six....coooowell!

TEE

Hell get a suburban.

I just bought my wife a slightly used one for 22,000. (I know the owner of the dealership very well). We just took it on its first road trip last sunday and got 18 miles to the gallon. (all highway miles). I was very pleasantly suprised.

Seats 8 very comfortably

Just my weak 2 cents,

Wolf

But you need to tow a big trailer. So it sounds like you need a 2500. My 2500 6.0ltr V-8 gets 11-12 Mpg towing. I would imagine any newer vehicle will accomplish your goals. But Chevy has always been a better truck for towing, for trucks other than diesels.

Have been laboring this exact question for 6 months and reading all of the motorhead boards, truck boards and diesel boards. Conclusion......Depending on the deal I can get it will be either a Chevy or GMC 2500, crew cab, long bed, Duramax diesel with an Allison automatic tranny. It will be black with a tan interior limo tinted windows, BOSE sound system with on-star and GPS. I am still up in the air about a bedliner (sprayed in under rail or insert). After that I am getting the tent that goes in the bed because if my wife ever finds out how much that package costs, I'll be living in it.

TOXIC

My daily driver is a Chevy 1500HD (soon to be called a 2500 Crew Cab because that's what it is!). 6.0L V8, 300hp and 360 ftlbs and this truck tows and rides nice! Tows 8,000lbs w/3.73 gears and 10,000lbs w/4.10 gears. I have the 3.73 gears and get 16+ mpg on the highway (not towing) and around 13+ mpg in town. I never check my mpg while towing because I don't really care!!

A 2500 Suburban would also be a good choice if you want to feed that 8.1L V8!! I like the truck vs. the Suburban cause I like to put stuff in the back that I wouldn't want inside. A Suburban with a 6.0L would be kick a$$!!

Bob G.
CrewCab2.jpg

How about 2 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4's, one luxury liner with 20" tires and all options, bells & whistles and the other with a HEMI & Off Road package. Towing with the 2002, 5.9, I get 12.5 mpg. Towing with the 2003, 5.7 HEMI I get 14.5 mpg. Have to stay off the pedal in the HEMI to keep the gas mileage up. It's way too much fun!!!

Dodge came out in 2002 with rack-and-pinon steering and large 4 wheel disc breaks which make a big difference in handling. I have now owned 5 Dodge Ram trucks since 1994 and they just keep getting better all of the time.

However, if I were towing more weight I would go for the 2500 with a HEMI.
Dsc_2209.jpg

My Silverado Z-71 with a 5.3 gets 19.8 MPG on the highway and 13 MPG pulling my 929 on the highway. My wife had a Envoy last year (inline 6) and it was a little worse on gas than my Silverado, and seemed to work harder pulling my boat. This year she got a Trailblazer EXT with a 5.3 and it is great, about the same gas mileage as my Silverado and no trouble pulling my 929. Both are fine for towing, but the Trailblazer has more inside room in it. Three rows of seats. Good luck in your truck hunting. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

I don't see any weights here but for under 3000# I'd stick with a 1/2 ton and if you tow alot go with the 4:10 gears over 3000# go with a 3/4. There is no comparison between Chevy/GMC and the rest. My work at work truck is a 00 3/4 # ford it's like the other 10 ford's at work not good. My wife's new truck is a dodge dakota quad cab 15mpg towing a pt175. My toy is a HD 00 3/4 # Silverado drives like a Caddy hauls butt never more than 13 mpg but never any problems either.

Going to Littleton NH last week four out of five trucks along side of the road where fords the fifth I could'make out.

I have been shopping too and everyone I've talked to about the Trailblazers/Envoys has had nothing but good things to say. They have the best of all worlds, massive HP and torque and yet a good compromise on gas mileage for all that power. Plus they are plush and ride sweet. I rode in Rhonda's (Neeley's boss) while in Detroit and they do ride like a car.....smooth. But the new Hemi Dodge 4 door is also sweeeeeet! If I could tow with anything, it would be a Hummer first, Navigator next, then something above 3rd! LOL I like to tow in style! LOL

H2's are getting reasonable Rob...Leastwise here in DC/VA. I just saw a 2002 diesel, black, for 46....that ain't bad!!

TOXIC

i do like my trailblazer even though i have had numerous nickel and dime problems with it in the 13 months that i have owned it. all covered under warranty of course. if i were looking to buy a new vehicle now. i would look hard and long at the tahoe z71 package. leather....sunroof....xm satellite....onstar....etc...etc...etc..

bryan

If you're deciding between the Chevy and the Dodge for carrying many passengers, you might want to sit in the back seat of both mfg's crew cabs before you decide. The Chevy has more head room, leg room and hip room. You can compare on the websites also, but getting in one then the other will make it very obvious. (Love my Chevy's!)

I have to agree with Don and the others about the Dodge Quad Cab's second-row seating. If you have a family, or plan on taking long trips with people sitting in the back, look at the Fords or the Chevy/GMCs.

One of the kickers for me was the powertrain warranty I got on the Dodge. And I love the flip-out, heated tow mirrors!!! But I'm in that 10 mpg range that you're trying to get out of. The RAM 1500 with the HEMI may get better mileage.

The thing I do not like about the Chevy's is the way the dashboards are laid out, and the feeling that there are more plastic parts used in the cab than are necessary. It's a design thing, and some people DO like the way the cab interior is laid out. I'm not one of them. The new Ford F-150 cab (2004 model) is also not something I'm particularly drawn to.

Passenger Room: Ford or Chevy

Exterior Appearance: Any of them

Interior Layout: Dodge or Ford

Gas Mileage: Ford or Chevy

Get up 'n go: Dodge!!

Diesel: Chevy or Dodge

Warranty: Dodge

Interior Storage: Dodge

Resale Value: Chevy (close second is Ford)

Ride Comfort: Ford (close second is Chevy)

Torque: Dodge

Horsepower: Dodge

Max Towing: Dodge

Standard Towing: Chevy
MOsRAM6.jpg

Mo,

That is one good looking truck!

I am a Chevy man myself but I like the looks of your Dodge.

Wolf

Thanks!

Black ABS/aluminum running boards (not nerf tubes) and molded splash guards are being installed on Tuesday. It will get a nice, tight tonneau cover on or around Christmas.

Cass, my wife really liked the Atlantic Blue color. Both of your trucks are really sharp!

Hey Guys;

I own a Silverado SS. Best truck I've ever been in. Brother-in-law owns a HEMI Dodge and it pales in comparison. I average 17 mpg by the computer and the only time I leave town its towing a 700LX or a double snowmobile trailer. Even with the tires it comes with, it's very decent in the snow. All wheel drive works just fine and yes my last few trucks were 4X4 so I have experience with tow vehicals. SS is too cool.....

SS is only 1500 Model Right? I need more guts than that. I have decided a diesel is right for me. I run my vehicles for a long, long time and a diesel should pay for itself eventually. A 929 fully loaded and with a full tank of gas and trailer will push 4000lbs if I am correct in my calculations....

TOXIC

Back