Best Tasting Freshwater Fish

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
The perch pics and comments inspired this...

What is the best tasting fish?

1) Walleye fillets "poached"... I make a temporary "pan" of doubled aluminum foil with an edge, placed over indirect coals on a Weber... Fillets get sea salt, , coarsely ground black pepper, lemon pepper, and butter (lots!) Cook until flaky in the covered grill...

2) (A Tie) Deep fried whole channel cat (panfish dressed, skinned and head and fins removed) or flathead catfish cleaned and "steaked" (cut into vertical slabs) rolled in egg and milk mixture, then covered with yellow cornmeal and flour mixed... then fried in peanut oil

3) Crappie fillets fried, as above (cornemal & flour):D

Opps!!

Down here south Louisiana it's the sac-a-lait. It's tender and moist. You can pay fry or better yet make an etouffe ( tomato sauce) over white rice. Ma sa se bon!!!

Barry

Perch,....Walleye,...Crappie & 'Gills,...Smelt,..and smoked salmon......:wub::wub::rolleyes:

jeeze, i just let them go after they pose for some pics...

i didn't know that you could eat these things.

GregD

Walleye fresh from the lake still kicking, filleted and cooked in a outdoor fire with butter and a little Lemon/Pepper!

Walleyes, perch, crappies, or bluegills in beer batter with hushpuppies and a Guiness.

Walleye baked in lemon juice n butter

Walleye breaded and deep fried

Crappie n bluegill same way.

Take two or three b. gill or crappie fillets put into egg and milk batter together then in flour sticking them together as one piece. Then fry brown n place on a toasted hamburger bun with tarter sauce and lettuce. Serve with dill pickle spear and fries.

fatrap

Yum!! All sounds great! My favorites (in no particular order):

salmon

trout

walleye

stripers (out of Lake Anna's cold side - so they count as freshwater!)

I have only eaten Crappie, Black bass and ctafish from freshwater. I eat more crappie that anything else.

Walley, sauger, crappie. That's about all I keep. Fried is the best, but we usually eat them broiled or baked over spinach with a white cheese sauce.

I don't care for but two freshwater fish. Tilapia and trout over a bed of pasta with any sauce but tomato based.

For easy access from my lake(s)/area:

1) Crappie

2) Channel Cat's

From the gulf: Flounder or redfish

If no restrictions applied to area: has to be those Fresh Walleye's from those clear lakes in Ontario (I'm with Trep on this one). Can't think of much better than those.

Tex

Barry, If it says etouffe I like it but a walleye shore lunch is hard to beat. Crappie is probably second on my list. Fresh northern pike cleaned properly is pretty good also.

jumbo yellow belly perch caught through the ice. fillet and drop in a pan of butter....RIGHT IN THE SHANTY!!!!

Mike C. - you actually got to taste one of those bad boys? Still didn't manage to catch one. Course, getting out on the river only two or three times will mess up your average!

Fresh Rainbow Trout on the open fire in front of a tent on a mountain somewhere....and about 75F, clear sky.

I rarely if ever keep anything I catch any more.. However, I do love White Perch but they're a salt water fish. Yellow Perch and Yellow Perch roe, imho, is as good as it gets.

Uncle Billy

I can't believe there isn;'t one perverted comment here -I'm disappointed......

This time of year.......Mrs Pauls I don't have to freeze my butt off to eat...LOL :D

To figure out best tasting fish don't add any extras or seasonings. All this brought to mind a old recipe for carp. First nail fish to a nice oak board. Season with salt pepper garlic and melted butter. Bake at 325 for 1/2 hour. Throw fish in the trash and eat the board. :D:lol:

Tequila and any fish...

JR:wacko:

I'll say fresh walleye from Canada too, but.... When we went to Canada we stayed on one lake and only fished it the afternoon we arrived, then we'd fish another lake that had more walleye. We would catch walleye and smallmouth on the first lake and what ever we caught that first afternoon is what we ate the next day. The only way to tell the difference between walleye and smallmouth was the shape of the fillet's. They were every bit as good as the walleye. :wub:

Please don't banish me for my indescretion. ;)

Gene

Latest posts

Back