Best place to buy a .22 rifle scope? Good choices?

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Looking for a quality scope that won't break the bank to go on a .22LR. (Ruger 10/22) Must be a silver finish. I have a stainless custom that I'm building, so I want a silver scope to go on it.

Most of my experience is with Nikon, Bushnell, and Simmons, but willing to entertain other brands.

I think I'd prefer a 2-7 or 3-9 x32 over a straight 4x, but will consider others.

Never had a red-dot, but might consider those as well.

Feel free to chime in on recommendations on brand, store, etc...

Oh... and if you have one for sale... I think you know where to reach me. :lol:

Thanks!

All the best,

Glenn

Check out http://swfa.com/default.aspx

I've ordered from them a few times and have never had problems with them. They also have used scopes on their "Sample List". You probably can find a good deal on there. Or look around, find what you are looking for, and check Ebay.

With that said, I got a Simmons .44 mag scope on my 10-22 and love it.

Bench target gun with a heavy barrel? Hunting gun? All around plinker?

It's looking like a bench target gun, but will probably be an all around plinker. 18" fluted green mountain barrel and an applejack colored Boyds Evolution stock... she's coming out pretty so far... :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

BSA makes a good rimfire scope. Avoid at all cost the 4X 20 dollar special with a tube the size of a tootsie roll. You can get into one of the BSA for around fifty bucks. BPS makes a good one by Redhead. Depends on how much you want to spend.

fatrap

Check the EABCO website (below)... Then email them for suggestions for a .22 scope. A .22 scope needs to haven a shorter distance parallax adjustment than a regular high power rifle scope...
http://www.eabco.com/riflescopes.html

fatrap,

I've got a BPS Redhead .22 scope on my Remington 597. It's "ok". I've used much better. The optics aren't nearly as clear as I'd like them to be.

I've seen Bushnells, Simmons, and a few others for under $50. They might be good. For $50 (about the same as the BPS Redhead), I'm thinking "I can do better... get off your wallet".

I don't want to spend hundreds on it - if I was going to spend more money on a scope, it would probably be another Nikon ProStaff. I talked myself out of a VX-1 when I compared the two side by side.

I guess I'm looking to spend about a $100 to $125 on a new scope for it. I want decent quality, but I don't want to spend more on the scope than what the gun originally costs me. :p

Greg,

That site is confusing. I can't even search "rimfire riflescope" and get good results. I get better results doing an Google search. I'll email them though. Thanks for the advice.

All the best,

Glenn

Also check out scopesandmore.com, picked up one for my 17 HRM for right at $100.00

Hey Glenn,

Check out KD Outdoors....a site Sponsor and a great store!!!

Give me a call, I'll be there at 11am est.

248-666-7799

Ken,

I'd call... but the STORE OWNER always seems to be out fishing or something! :lol:

I'll try to give you a shout after lunch. I can't call long distance from work, so I'll try to get out to my truck and call from my cell phone.

All the best,

Glenn

Greg,

We were posting at the same time. Just about the time I was writing that the site was difficult to navigate, you were posting another couple of times to get me on the right track.

I've never heard of Mueller scopes. That's a new one on me. Interesting though. Do you have any experience with that brand?

Definitely some of the best info I've read on scopes in a while. Thank you very much for taking the time to post. I'm soaking it all in now.

All the best,

Glenn

About ninety percent of the people I talk to just want a cheap scope and usually way under 100 bucks. That's what I recommend to them. If you're a competetion smallbore shooter shooting a anschutz in matches then we can hook u up with a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-10x40mm scope. State your function and desire there is a price and product. My .22 rifles are all iron sights except my .22 WMR.

fatrap

Glenn,

No personal experience... But, I do buy from EABCO and they have NEVER had a bad product in anything I have purchased... That said, I do not know more about the brand. Except, that EABCO has one line of scopes of their own and they have them built by Mueller...

I have one very old Weaver (from 1963) on my first ever "high power rifle"... Everything else (11 of them) are all Leupolds.

fatrap,

Thanks. I had stated my function above in response to Rich's post -

It's looking like a bench target gun, but will probably be an all around plinker.
By that, I mean it will probably spend most of it's time on the range, but I'm not opposed to taking it out with my family for some plinking.

I'm by no means a competition smallbore shooter. I'm a guy who likes to take a nice rifle to the range for some friendly quarterly competition with the guys in my shop. I also use my smaller calibers to practice shooting skills without blowing through lots of $$$ in ammo, as well as avoiding further damage to an already aging and damaged right shoulder.

I wish I could use iron sights. I used them for half my life on my favorite .22 rifle - my Remington 552 Speedmaster. However, recently I have not been able to focus on iron sights like I used to. My optomitrist and others on these boards have explained that I am simply getting older and therefore my eyes do not have the elasticity they used to - making it more difficult to focus on iron sights. Therefore, even my lever action .30-30 got a scope last year... which I REALLY did not want to do.

I do not like buying $50 scopes anymore. I went that route... trying to save a couple pennies here and there. I seldom was happy with the results. However, I also do not like spending more on a scope than I paid for the rifle, which I realize a lot of people do.

I'm a "$100 to $200" kind of scope guy. I don't shoot long distances - seldom do I ever take a shot over a 100 yards. Just not my "comfort zone".

I was dead set on getting a VX-1 last year for my lever action. I've always wanted a Leupold. I don't know why... Probably "Name recognition" and my buddy Rich constantly telling me that they were "the" scope to have. When I finally put money aside and was dead-set to get one - the Bass Pro Shops employee handed me both the VX-1 and the Nikon Pro Staff and had me do a side by side comparison - without talking about price on either. I walked out of the store with the Nikon after scoping all the big game animals across BPS San Antonio.

The most expensive scopes I've ever purchased were a Simmons Aetec, which does a wonderful job on my .270 Remington 700ADL, and a Nikon ProStaff, which adorns my .30-30 Marlin. They are clear, precise scopes that do a great job for me.

A while back, I got hooked on Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn scopes. At the time, I thought they were perfect for my tasks, and they were for several years. After getting my Nikon ProStaff and using it quite a bit, I changed my mind and started selling them off - all 3 of them. Not a bad scope... just not as good as the Nikon ProStaff was for me.

Greg,

Thanks for the great recommendation, site and info. I've been looking up that brand, and they seem to be a very good value for the money - and they fit within the range that I want to spend. I just hate ordering anything online like this, as I like to look through the scopes I buy before purchasing them.

Right now though... that's on the top of the list. :)

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn

You can't beat a Nikon. I like the Luepolds but we sell more Nikons hands down than any other scope in the medium price range. I was told that Nikon does our binocular optics and I believe it. I have two binocs that are Redhead and they are great.

Burris is another made (assembled) in America scope that is very good. Their low end scopes are clear and well build.

AS for red dots. I hate anything with a battery. Murphy's Law. They are fun but the battery always seems to go south so you need to have an extra. Lazers are another matter.

Aside from the Vari X but still a Luepold if you want the best and remember you only have to buy it once, the Luepold VX 1 rimfire scope in a 2x7 is gonna make you one happy camper.

fatrap

Thanks fatrap. I was thinking about checking out Burris also. I've heard a lot about them on other sites, but have never owned one.

The red-dots just look cool to me... but I think I'll leave that alone until the next build, which will be one of those little "fun guns" - probably a archangel mod to another 10/22.

I've got this one about 3/4 done - stripped the receiver to the bare stainless, did some mods (trigger, buffer), got my new barrel and scope in, and started doing some polishing. I'm so tempted every day just to put it all together, as I have most of my parts here. But I'm being patient and doing it right. I bought another trigger group the other day so that I can do a bit more polishing to my original, but have a backup just in case I screw things up.

All the best,

Glenn

I just finished my first 10/22 build a couple of weeks ago. Strictly a bench gun. Too heavy to lug around the woods. I wanted an AO scope, found a local guy selling a used Simmons 4-12x AETEC that couldn't hold zero on his 300 Win Mag. Figure it might stand up to the slightly less punishing recoil of a 22LR. :)

ulti1022_1.jpg

Other scopes I considered were the Simmons 22Mag 3-9x32 AO, and the Burris Timberline AO (I forget the specifics of the Burris)

I just bought a AR lower reciever. STagg arms. I got a good price now the challenge what to build on it.

Good luck with the .22

fatrap

Glenn...

Two additional suggestions... Join (free for both) rimfirecentral.com and predatormasters.com and post your question there. Should be some knowledgeable answers about the various brands (somewhat like Ford vs. Chevy).

I have never had a Leupold fail... Past comments evrywhere have always been about "worldclass" ustomer service. Also, all of mine are Vari-X III or II (nothing new in the last three years).

That's sweet Rich!! That'll put the fear of "Carl" in those varmint cong!!:blink:

"The only way to defeat the varmint cong is with superior intelligence,..and superior firepower!";):wacko: (ala Caddy Shack,..The greatest movie of all time!!):wub:

Rich,

Nice looking weapon you have there! You messed me up now though - now I want to run home and put mine together!!!:lol::lol::lol: I love the look of that Aetec on there. I really like mine. I'll have to post some pics later.

fatrap,

Don't even get me started on an AR!!! I've not been tempted for a long time. I got the bug once, made it go away quickly, and it never came back for a long time. However, recent conversations about Bushmasters on this site, as well as a buddy of mine mentioning that you can get a .40 upper for an AR got the wheels in my head turning. No, it probably wouldn't be the most accurate AR caliber - after all, it's a pistol caliber. But I shoot so much .40, I thought it would be cool to build a .40 cal AR!

Greg,

I'll be joining both very shortly.

All the best,

Glenn

I have another lower reciever available Glenn. They are REALLY nice no burrs, even smooth anodizing it's at my FFL guy's little shop.

fatrap

Glen,

Funny nobody has mentioned Weaver. I will give a double thumbs up to the entire line. I own Luepolds on my hunting guns but I have the following Weavers that I absolutely love. My target 10/22 (heavy) wears a Weaver 4-16, my wifes target 10/22 (light) wears a Weaver Rimfire 2-7, and my varmit .223 has a Weaver 6-24. I used to use a 4X Weaver on my Savage 99 in .308 but I ended up selling that one to a guy who put it on his 30/30. You can find them in silver but you have to look around and may have to order on-line. Another scope I have a couple of is the Simmons .22 Mag. They are nowhere near the quality of Weavers but they aren't bad.

NoCAL

Several good scopes mentioned. Just thought I'd say that I've never had an issue with my Burris scopes. Some are pricey, but I'm not the gentlest with them outdoors and they hold dead-on. (So far! :lol: )