Best Fishing Line

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno G.

Reaction score
ok, I am still very unsure as to which line to use on my fishing rods. I typically use 8lb test on my spinning finesse rods and 14lb on baitcaster rods. I've been using Stren Extra Strength and wanted to know what brands others use and if their pleased with there performance...I have broken off some nice fish and wanted some feedback on which brands and types hold up better than the Stren I currently use.

Thanks,

Reno

Reno, I recently changed out my line on one of my spinning and one baitcaster with Spiderline EZ Mono. It's cheap in price but so far I like it. Low memory and casts good. Have not lost a fish on it yet. 8lb. & 10lb. Low visability.

The line I have always used is Berkley XT and have Fireline on one of my spinning spools. Someone on this board suggested I spool the fireline onto another spool after it starts to get aged. It worked for me. Like new again.

just my 2 cents

CJL

Cajun Red is a good line but, not for line watchin':( Spiderwire SuperMono has always been a good line for me...may be a tad stiffer but, doesn't have a lot of memory and has good abrasion resistance:)

I am a real big fan of the BPS excel line. I like how it casts and it is very abrasion resistant. I fish rocks alot and i rarely loose a fish to line failure. It also comes at a good price, i get the 4000 yard spools for 22 bucks.

I used Berkley Big Game (10lb and 12lb), but the line memory got me in knots and tangles. Changed to ANDE (10lb)now and its not bad, really like the low memory on the line

I've been using the BPS Extreme line for a while now. For the most part, I'm very happy with it. Most times, I have the 12lb on, but also use 17lb for heavier applications, and also use some 8lb.

I've been using the hi-vis gold 8lb line for my finesse spinning combo's. It's okay, but tends to loop/twist a little too much for me.

Did use McCoy's mean green (gave it away), and another co-polymer that I also didn't like. Main gripe. Once any type of 'kink' get's in a copolymer line, you might as well cutoff and re-tie. You are probably going to lose a bait. Watched three brand new spinnerbaits (you know, the expensive ones) fly out into the sunset last year.

Tex

I have experimented with almost all of the lines out there. I like the Spider wire super mono for my baitcasters and Stren clear blue super limp for my spinning rods. I use Power Pro 30 for flipping and C-rig.

For day in and day out I use Big Game, can't beat it and the new Supreme has less memory than before, plus it is so cost effective that I can change it every month since I fish each weekend. For sensitivity (worming or Senko rods) where I want to feel everything, Seaguar Fluorocarbon is "THE" line.

Ron

Big Game and I never became close friends. Just too stiff for me. I prefer P-Line 20# for flipping and pitching. I also liked Power Pro braid but a couple of things caused me to switch. I use a varity of differant brands depending on applacation. For my spinnerbait rod I am currently using 14# Ironsilk. This is my second outing with Ironsilk and I'm still not sure. I use Trilene XL for crankbait rod and topwater rod. It's nice and soft and doesn't woof up. The only spinnerbait rod I use currently has Cajun Red 8# but Tee's right, you can't see it to save your dirty soul. I like to try them all. The only ones I really hate are Fireline, and anything Stren.

Harpo

The best fishing line I have ever used is the one that dont break when you got a good fish on.

BPS Excel for me! XPS flourocarbon for clear water and leaders. I believe it's the most for the money. IMHO

FWIW...

I still use Stren Clear Blue for nite fishing... on both baitcasters and spinning (4-12# test)... I use Trilene Big Game on my flipping stick (15-17# test).

I was becoming a very big fan of the "Real Line"... but alas they are gone (or so I understand)...

For Flourocarbon, I like both Triple Fish and the P-line version... mostly in 6-10# sizes.

For the money and availability, I dont think Stren Clear Blue can be beat for 90% of applications...

Back