Best Cold Weather Gear?????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hamilton

Reaction score
I am in the market to find some GOOD cold weather gear. I have seen lots of guys with the BPS 100mph gear but it is identified as "rain gear" and NOT insulated. I am also looking at the Pro Qualifier Rainwear (on sale at the Classic) and seems to be effectively the same as the 100mph suit.

Can anyone tell me if either is better than the other and is is warm enough assuming you wear general layers under the suit. I intend to get the bibs and jacket and not he pants.

Any help would be appreciated. Both are expensive (100 mph is ridiculous), but I do like to stay WARM on the lake.

Thanks!!!!

What is "cold" to you? And, do you wear heavy clothing when the outside temps reach what?

I do not put a liner in my GoreTex jacket until less than 20 degrees so I am pretty extreme...

We were ice fishing last weekend and the high for the day was 6 degrees... I routinely fish in temps of 10-30 degrees...

That having been said, I wear "stuff" that is suitable for very cold weather duck hunting... Gore Tex Bibs and Parka and Thinsulate liner with Sorel boots and lined insulated Poly gloves... A good suit like that for duck hunting will cost around $300-500 depending on bells and whistles and brand as well as timing... right now that stuff is on sale or about to go on sale...

Bill,

i just returned from a day out snow mobiling, i would highly recomend anything made by North Face. i use this jacket for skiing, snowmobiling, and all other out door activities.

there products are not cheep. but you get what you paid for.

GregD

I got a Cabela's guide wear Jacket and bibs and could not be happier. I fished today in 20-40 degree temps and running and my body does not get cold. I do wear fleece undergarmets and dress in a few layers, but what I got was cheaper than 100 mph suit and it has a thinsulate lining. (and it is gore-tex waterproof) It isn't cheap......$275 on sale, but worth every penny.

Bill,

I would also recommend checking to see that the garments are windproof. I have a Redhead hunting coat that I use a lot on the boat as it's windproof and I can definitely tell when I'm running. I don't feel any "wind chill" at all and it will definitely be a factor in any cold weather clothing I purchase in the future.

Jim

Cool weather to me is 15-30 degrees and windy. I wear layers now, but too many and would like to have a suit that provides the flexibility and manuverability I need on a boat. Wind is a definite factor when you run the lake, even at 30-40 mph, let alone 60 mph. Neither of the BPS suits really talk about cold protection, only wind and rain. I don't want the typical insulated overalls that I wear in a tree stand since they don't provide the movement I need on the boat. Big price differences on 100mph and the Pro Qualifier.

Appreciate any and all comments!

Bill - I'm not fancy, I wear insulated coveralls in camo pattern made for hunters. I won't go out in the boat unless the outside temp is at least 35 to ensure the ramp is not frozen! LOL So i wear jeans, t-shirt, turtleneck, sweatshirt and my coveralls with my FisHedz, thinsulate gloves and off I go!!

I can see the issue on movement, my coveralls are a hair big for me so they give me just enough movement all around as long as I don't wear my heavy coat under them.

Let us know what you end up with and how it works.

Trep

Bill I wear bibs and a coat made for hunting. I got mine from Wally World and I think it cost me around $150 for the set, it's camo and made by Remington. The jacket is reversable and is lined with down or something similar with a hood. I have used them going 60 mph in 30 degree weather and have done fine. If I wear them outside when it's 20 and I am moving a little I can start to sweat. Good stuff for the price. And I think it has a water repelent on it also. Bad news is Wal Mart only stocks them at the begining of hunting season. I would buy another on a heartbeat. If you hunt you will really like them. Hope this helps.

Donnie

Carhardt's, get a size too big and you are ready for any wind. Plenty of room to move in and almost too warm. I wear them for ice fishing and snowblowing can't be beat. If it's 30 or lower and raining it's called ice or sleet and you should be inside anyway.:D

Hey Bill,,

I have a Red Head insulated Jacket and Bibs that I had on the last time I was at your place. They kept me real warm but were just too darn heavy. Also, I don't like bibs. If I'm hot I don't want to just want to drape them about my waist. I like the pants better. I sold them and got the Bass Pro Shop suit just under the 100 mph suit. They were still super expensive though Bill. I don't think they have them any more. The suit is Gortex and that means it will be great against wind and rain. If you layer under the suit you will not get cold. If I was meeting you to fish at your place any time soon this is what I would wear. Good boots with Gortex, Merino Socks, UnderArmour top and pants or the Red Head version which is cheaper, Fleece pants, Silk Shirt, Fleece top, then my BPS Gortex rain/wind suit. I know I would be warm and I'm a big sissy. Oh, I would also have a little heater of some kind aboard. And Sears had some nice looking gloves that looked like you could fish with them. They called them Mechanics Gloves and they were about $35.00..<choke>..

I just checked the BPS site and the Pro Qualifier Suit looks like what I bought.

I'd get the Pro Qualifier Suit and layer up.. Good Luck.

Uncle Billy

Bill,

Check out the Arctic Armor suit.....I'll put the link below.

I sell them at the store and can ship it to you.

It is lightweight, insulated, waterproof, windproof, breathable, and it FLOATS!!!

I could afford to carry one good line of cold-weather gear this year at the store, and I checked them all out and decided on this line.

No need to layer underneath....a good set of undergarments, a mid layer such as fleece or sweats, and the suit and you're good to -30!!!

A LOT cheaper than the BPS gear too....don't worry about the price on the website below, I'll get it for you for a lot less than that.

http://www.idigear.com

Sweatshirt and a bottle of Patron,,Always keeps me warm....:wacko: JR

Bill,

I went the cheap route and I do mean cheap. Last Feb. I needed a cold weather suit so I went to Academy Sports. My theory was that snow skiing and a cold weather fishing suit share a common ground. That is, to keep me dry and warm.

Academy had their ski stuff on sale, so I was able to pick up a set of ski bibs and jacket for $50.

Bill, I am looking for the same thing dang they are expensive the BPS 100mph is out of the question. I think the Pro Qualifier Suit is what I'm going to get not much cheaper but I think cuting out the wind will be the biggest factor of keeping warm. I might go to BSP eather this afternoon or tomarrow to look at them.

Hutch

Hutch - DON'T GO to BPS today or tomorrow. The Pro Qualifier is on sale at Hampton during the Classic for $50 off each piece. The Jacket or Bibs are $129.88 (regularly $179.95), the Parka is $149.88 (regularly $199.95) and the Pants are $99.88 (regularly 129.95). Gotta go to the store to get them. If you need 2XL or 3XL that are $10.00 more (each).

Cabela's Guidewear. Hands down, better than the BPS stuff. I use it as is, with no liner. If it get's cold enough, I just put additional layers on. I've had mine three years now, and simply love it.

The overall design is much better, IMHO.

Tex

Thanks Greg,I have never heard of it before..I'll look for a bottle,I keep Patron and Don Julio around..Cabo when Carlos gets It for me In Cali....JR

Ken I looked at that stuff on the website... pretty cool... I like that it floats for cold weather open water fishing... e-mail me some info on XXL [email protected]

Biil, Toxic I saw that add and never cliked on mt thick head :blink: I have been watching the weather and looks like 50's for the weekend I'm going nuts I need to get the new ride wet.

Yeah, notice me and Jimmy Houston are the only ones cool enough to wear our shades!!:lol::lol: Carlos took that shot and pretty soon he's gonna want royalties!! Maybe I should have used the one of me in the skirt!! Race is on at 2:00 and it's waaaaay to windy to get out today anyway.

TOXIC

Hutch, you mean you're not just sitting in the boat making vroom, vroom motor noises?:rolleyes:

Hey Bill, that suit Ken carries and told you about looks pretty darn good. Personally I'd want to try on anything like that and see how it feels. Maybe you can work something out with Ken?

He also said he'd get it fr you at a lot less than pisted on the site. I really like the floatation part of it.

Uncle Billy

Ken's recommendation looks like the pick of the litter. If you want a pound dog, go to your local Army Surplus Store and see if they have any Army Gore-Tex outfits hanging around. Only downside--camoflage pattern only and pants, no bibs. Primo piece of kit for cold weather.

Our carhardts kept my son and I nice and warm today ice fishing for 8 hours. Nice mess of 13 to 14 inch bass fun through the ice by bringing in the line with your bare hands woohooo.

Bill, don't forget your hat!!! You lose most of your body heat out the top of your head..:blink:

I have one Nancy gave me a few years ago and it's Gortex with a short Bill (HaHaHa, get it?)

and ear flaps that uses velcro to close under you chin. She calls it my "Perv Hat".. And I'm not a perv!!!!:wacko: HeeHeHeeHe, yeth mathter... It's great in the cold and when we didn't have any power last week I even slept in it.:lol: I'll try to find where she bought it from and let you know..

Uncle Billy

Back