best all purpose line

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
Ok, everyone. As I always do, I am going to start a nice healthy debate.

Now that there is braid, co-polymer, mono, super mono, red, florocarbon, etc....

What is your favorite all purpose line, and why?

My best, favorite, and all-purpose line goes like this:

"Hey baby, chicks dig me cause I wear colored underwear!!!"

So your the one that stole Robs pink undies?

P-Line 8 lb test moss green. Works great on spinning and baitcasting reels. I've caught everything from a 14 lb northern on a jerk bait using this line to a 6 lb largemouth and 5 lb smallmouth on tubes using this line. Last year I pulled a 5 lb plus bass out from under a dock and it promply wrapped me in a water line, pulled bass water line and all up out of the water with out losing fish. I break off more with my 30 lb spider wire than I do with my 8 lb P-Line. Maybe thats why I have a 1200 yard spool of this line.

Berkley Big Game for me...10, 12 15 lb test got me covered in low vis green, and for those realy nasty places I have a couple PTI spinning reels spooling with 50 lb Power Pro braided line..

Berkley Big Game for me. Size depends on the conditions but I use anything from 12lb for jerk baits to 30 lb for stripers.

The old stand by for me is green Trilene XL.

Paul

For me i like bps excel in green. Its tough and anything, casts great and best of all the price is great.

Berkley Big Game on my reels, 10lb's in clear use it for all my fishing, started to use ANDE now lot less memory, but also in 10lbs

Stren Clear/Trilene XL/XT/P-Line CXXX "Premium" for techniches where sensitivity/stretch isnt much of an issue (Moving baits, Cranks/Spinnerbaits).

Where Sensitivity, stretch, etc.. are more of a factor I have switched to Flourocarbon... been using the sunline and having good results with it. Unlike others that I have tried in the past, the longer this is on the spool the better it seems to get.

I've never been a fan of the colored lines... I am also not a big proponent of the fish "seeing" the line and being "line shy"... what I am a proponent of is using the right line for the job. Lure action on different # test can vary dramatically.

Simmy...Don't be afraid of colored lines! LOL

They are our friends and will help you out! :)

Seriuosly...I used to be the same but, I can tell ya' it does not make a difference even in clear water.

About the only time I worry about clarity is maybe after a front.

I don't believe there is one all purpose line. I think there is a right and wrong application for every situation.

Harpo

XPS Mono, 12 lb green, seems to be my line of choice most of the time. I am trying the new Vanish Transistion for some of my spinning, and so far I like it.

Tex

I saw some of the "Vanish" line at WalMart last night. Isn't that the stuff that's one color out of the water and turns "invisible" in the water? Stuff was $13-$15 a spool!

Was a Stren guy exclusively for years but since their last formula change I have gone to Trilene XL/XT,Sensation, and Seaguar carbonProFluorocarbon for leaders.

Flipping-Pline Flourocarbon, Seagar Flourocarbon, or Power Pro Braid, or Pline Braid

Spinnerbaits-Berkley Big Game, 10-20

Crankbaits (this time of the year) mono-8 to 10

Trilene Big Game is a very tough, manageable line that, with the appropriate test, can do almost everything any other line can do. That being said, I've got 30# PowerPro on my flipping stick, and some XL on my Stradic. I spool up Big Game on the rods I'm comfortable with tying just about any 'ol lure on, but when I pick up a rod that I know I will tie only a few bait-types on, I get a little more particular with my line characteristics.

--Casey
http://www.fatfreeshad.com

Stren and trilen made by the same company check the back of the packages. I started using XPS BPS line and am impressed with it. Normally use p-line.

Back