Berkley Series One Spinning Rod

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I was at Wally World this weekend and I happen to browse thru the fishing section and I ran across this rod. I was pretty impressed with how light it was and the reel seat and grip so I own it now. I can't wait to get out there this weekend and try it out.

I was going to buy a St. Croix rod but I really liked this one better. Anyone use this rod?

You can find some good deals especially on rods at Wally World:) I bought an FLW ultra-light last year and it is by far the best lookin' and handling ultra-light I have ever owned. I didn't even know FLW made their own series of rods:)

Teri,

I have always used Berkley Lightning and Hot Rods, Spinning and Baitcasting. I think they are a good value for the money and are very durable. I use Medium Action. Right now my best rod is a cabelas Fish Eagle II. But I still use my Berkleys all the time.

This rod was $80. I thought that was pretty high for WalMart. I looked on the internet when I got home and most places were selling this rod for $110-120. I looked at the Lightning but they didn't have it in 6'6".

Teri,...The Series One's are nice,......that's a good price too! (But it's not as nice as an All Star!!..LOL!)

Good job girl!!

Mac

Mac-

All-Star being made in China now???

Is that right?

Thought one of their selling points was "made in America"???

az

Teri....This is a great rod...although I am a little baised. It is constructed using IM7 graphite and is an extremely sensitive yet strong rod. It also has Titanuim coated stainless steel insert guides which are ultra strong and a little quieter if you are using a superline.

you will enjoy this rod.

Bill

Andy, the CLASSIC series (49-69 price point) are being made in China. The rest are still US-made (until Shakespeare fixes that "problem") :(.

The opinion of Shakespeare is MINE, so any flack about it can be directed toward me. I just don't seem them bringing THEIR quality up to All-Star's, but dropping All-Star's quality to their level.

Mike,..it's business as usual at All Star,...they will NOT be dropping their post-aquisition quality to any level below their current standards....especially with their top of the line models...(So I'm told anyway)

Andy,...I don't know what's being made over there now,..Mini will have to answer that....but i can virtually gaurantee you that nobody in the USA can make and sell a rod here for $50-70 and still make a profit.

Mac

We make two rod series in China. The Pro II and the Classic. You will NOT see these rods anywhere except MAJOR retailers looking for a certain price point. ALL of the rods that you see on our website are made in Houston TX, USA.

We are "The Great American Fishing Rod Company", but when WalMart wants 15,000 rods to sell for $39.99, we cant argue that the sale needs to be made.

Check out the first phase of the new website. It will be updated soon.

Mini

My Wal-Mat didn't have All Star rods....I thought about buying one of those or a St Croix but no one around here sells All Star and I wanted it by Thursday.

I bought an All Star Pro II at Wallyworld a couple of years ago - 6', #3 action that I use with a Curado 101 and 8# line for those little 1/8 oz spinnerbaits. Love it! Got it on close-out for $19.

Teri, what model/series St. Croix where you looking at? I've got 22 St. Croix and love them.

Buzz

I love my St Croix rods - specifically the lifetime warranty. I've had to send two of them back to the manufacturer (one of them I slammed in the car door),

and had a brand new rod from them within two weeks.

TJ

St. Croix's Premier line is still made in the US. But I hate to admit that Mini is right about price point and shipping overseas. If we'd fix that trade imbalance with China, I do believe things like this would change and we'd start buying more American-made fishing equipment.

I also have to believe that St. Croix will either modify their warranty of enforce it more (not sure what the text reads) to avoid covering rods that are broken rather than a defect. I know that they will replace a rod for most any reason now, but someone has to pay for it.

Mike -

It all depends on their overall rate of return.

Their rate is likely so low that they don't even think about discontinuing the practice.

me!

I don't remember the exact wording of the warranty, but it includes everything, even "accidental breakage". (Lest it be thought I was pullin' a fast one.)

TJ

I would have bought the Premier 6'6" medium action but I think I am going to keep the Berkley.

Teri, the Series one is a pretty good rod, I had a few years ago and i liked them pretty good. When i changed all over to St Croix i ended up giving them to a buddy who loves to fish but is too tight on cash to be able to buy some nice gear. He still has them and uses them a lot. Like Buzz im St Croix all the way(sorry mini), they have been too good to me from a service standpoint for me to even think about buying anything else. i have done some pretty stupid things to my fishing rods and they have always replaced with without hesitation.

Back