BayStar steering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byron cooley

Reaction score
Has anyone installed BayStar steering on a 640LX ? Will it fit a 75hp Opti and clear the splashwell ?

bay star just released a newer steering cylinder based off the sea star cylinder.

this is suposed to be a better fit,as the original had a longer rod on one side that was a problem. HC4645H is the new cylinder, Part# HK4200H is the new kit. I installed the SeaStar pro tilt helm kit on my 98 800 lxs and it fit perfect. I got it from susplusunlimited.com as they were the cheapest. just make sure you get the new cylinder. included is a link to the baystar page.

good luck

http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/BAYSTAR/baystar.htm

I haven't installed one on a 640lx, but I did install one on my 2001 Nitro 188. The kit I bought had the older cylinder Ray mentioned. I had to loosen my outboard and move it out of the splashwell to get the cylinder installed. At 24 inches it was just an inch or two too long. The new cylinder is 21 inches according to the teleflex website so that should help in the installation. Other than that it was a pretty easy install. I ran the tubing through conduit to make it easier to get from the back to the console and to add a little more protection for the tubing. Adding the fluid and bleeding the system took just a few minutes and it has working without any problems for a year and a half.

Larry

I just got a brand new Baystar helm - HH4016 for $113.00 on ebay and was looking at a HC4600 cylinder. I will check out the HC4645. The rack and pinion sucks with the big baby Opti.

Back