Baystar in a 640LX

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byron cooley

Reaction score
Anybody install Baystar in a 640LX before? Any warnings before I get started? Got plenty of mechanical abillity just looking for those Do's and Don'ts. Any tips on removing the steering cable? Can it be cut so I don't have to lift the motor again and re-seal the bolts again?

Mine's not a 640LX, but is a 96 model 170TF. I installed a Baystar system on mine earlier this year, and it was no problem. I cut the old cable to remove it, being it was froze up anyway. Just make sure you get all of the air out of the system when bleeding it, and then refill the helm.

Mine is not froze up. It's getting very loose at the wheel. I raised the motor enough to put a real good "S" at the motor. Because of the tight bend at the motor it has worn the cable at the motor end. The cable moves up and down about 1 1/2 inches where the bar atatches when you move the wheel back and forth. What did you cut it with?? Is it to hard for a hacksaw ?? I have a die grinder with a cut off wheel on it that might work well to cut it.

I can't remember if I used a hacksaw or my Metabo. I think it was my hacksaw though. A cutoff wheel on a die grinder will work though. just watch for sparks flying around when cutting into the cable itself (which could be bad, especially back by the fuel tank). Also, cover the boat under your cut line, if you use a cut off wheel. It shouldn't do any damage, but the inside wires or cable covering getting hot might stick to the fiberglass or damage it.

Well I ripped the rack system out. The cable killed 2 hacksaw blades. It cut through the plastic cover no problem but when I hit the steel jacket all the teeth folded. A hand die grinder with a 3" cut off wheel cut it in about 20 seconds. I can't believe how much extra wire was wraped around the rack durring assembly. Why not trim all the wires to the right length when built?? So the cylinder is installed on the motor and I'm working on the helm. The 640LX has allways been a little tight for me to drive at 6'4". The wheel has allways been to close and the baystar is about 1 1/2" closer than the old rack was. I found a kit to mount it from the rear of the dash which sets the wheel only 1/4" closer but that's not enough. I added a 5 1/2" square of 3/4 marine plywood to the back of the dash at the mounting area for the helm. Now the helm will be recesed back into the dash and the wheel will be 1/2" - 3/4" farther away. Also the new added piece gives the 4 1/2" hole saw a place for the pilot drill to center on.

--Too be continued --

Latest posts

Back