Bayliner Boats

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
Does anyone on here know anything about Bayliner Boats? I have never heard anything good about them but I have a young neighborhood couple with boat fever that wants to buy one.

Thanks, Bill

I used to have a friend that had one and he loved it. We tore up Texoma with it and I never noticed anything wrong with it at all. It wasn't until years later that I found out that they were supposed to be a P.O.S. I guess it's kind of like Nitro/Tracker, get away from here and you won't find anything good said about them either. Like Trackers they're less expensive entry level boats that unless you want to become a boat expert, will serve you well.

Harpo

Bill I had a bayliner fish ski 14 yrs it had the Force moter which was the old ChryslermI never had the moter in shop as long as I owned it but I took good care of it and maintained it the way the book called for the boat its self I took back to dealer after the first time I used it it had aleak whear the hull and top cap came together after that I never had any problems Im not saying it was aperfect boat they do some cheap things to keep prices low like pin striping is taped on instead of gelled in the inside of compartments are not finished there gauges leave alot to be desired they usualy only come in one coler combo I told this is another way of saving costs they buy all there supplies at one time to get bigger savings to sell there boats cheaper so if they just want aplainjane boat and there is agood dealer I say go for it

ps I bought this boat back when most bass boats were like flat boards I picked this boat for its deep v hull because I used it in really rough water and my kids were small

JD

JD

Bill's got a point there. I drive by the Bayliner dealer on I-35 almost everyday. They have an about 18 or 19 footer, plain white runabout sitting out front didn't notice what size or brand of motor it had with a big sign saying $9995. Purty cheap.

Harpo

Bill - Keeping in this sites tradition, don't let them forget about Tracker! The Tahoe Q4 starts in the upper $14's for a realy nice 19.5ft bowrider!!

OK the image isn't loading, but their at www.tahoesportboats.com

Bill, the difference is in the details. Nothing wrong with the hull designs or layouts. In comparison to pricier boats, the materials will be a bit inferior (zinc or aluminum fittings instead of stainless, slightly thinner vinyls, less heavy duty stitching, etc.). The wiring will be poorly organized and of a slightly smallish gauge. Carpets will be thinner. Fit and finish in areas you can't directly observe will be rough.

Taken care of, the Bayliner will last for years and serve well. Exposed to hard use/harsh conditions, it will deteriorate faster than a boat of higher quality.

Brunswick started building small bowriders in Mexico within the last couple of years; I believe it's the first time it was done with small, production boats. Lots of cost savings.

It's a good boat to buy used/well cared for because the depreciation is steep in year 1 of ownership.

Thanks all for the responses. It really doesn't matter because they went directly from asking me to their car across the street and went and bought the boat. She told me she was mad that I wasn't excited about what they were thinking of buying. Go figure! I told her I was just trying to help, as they had asked me to do. She then started asking me questions about the boat but I referred her to her dealer. Fool me once kind of thing. Thanks again y'all.

Bill

Bill, always remember, NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED.

;)Harpo

I heard they're great boats...as long as you unhook the boat from the trailer when launching!:lol: Just couldn't resis:D (old Blonde/Bayliner joke)

My parents had a boat dealership in the 80's and they would not take a bayliner in for trade due to the quality. That was also twenty years ago and things could have changed since then.

Don't hold back, Pat, tell us how you really feel.:lol:

But, isn't that the same rap that Nitro/Tracker gets?

Harpo

I always say.....You don't always get what you pay for BUT you always pay for what you get.

Harpo

I thought all boats are junk unless it's a Ranger or a BassCat???

BTW, Just because something is made in Mexico doesn't necessarily means it's junk. My last Chevy was proudly made in the USA and was a pile of crap. That's why I pull my "junk" Nitro with a Ford now. :D

I saw the initial Reynosa built 175 at a boat show a couple of years ago, including a hull cutaway. I thought the quality was pretty decent.

I'm not saying it isn't a decent boat. At the price, it's a great value, as long as it's used and cared for within reasonable limits.

Back