Battery question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis swift

Reaction score
Guys,

I've got a question for you. I'm going to be running a 12 volt 50lb thrust trolling motor and I want to know what would be the best bang for my buck on a battery. I'm looking for a battery that I could pretty much run all day long on, if that is possible. Let me know what you guys think. Oh and I'm wondering if the maintence free batteries are worth the extra money.

Thanks,

Travis

also, I guess i'm kind of dumb, can someone tell me the advantages of having an on board charger as well as the best batteries.

travis

As for the best batteries, you will get ten different opinions.

Whatever you do get the biggest one you can fit. I dropped a size on my cranking battery just so I could fit a 31 series trolling battery in my boat. My 55lb thrust will run all day in all but the hardest winds. If I run it in the mormal 2-3-4 speed settings it will last all day.

I prefer maintenence free just for the simple fact that I forget to check the water. Couldn't give you any info on whether one is better than the other.

The advantages of an onboard charger ?? back the boat in at the end of the day, plug the cord into the outlet, and forget about it untill you go fishing again. Whether it's the next day, or three months later.

thanks steve,

any other opinons would be very, very much appreciated!!

travis

I am currently using standard deep cycle WalMart batteries. I have to watch the water level closely, as the charger will really deplete it if I'm not careful. Going to a maintenance free (sealed) battery is not a bad deal.

I like the WalMart batteries for I can get them exchanged almost anywhere I go, with only a short drive. I keep the tickets for them in the glove of my tow vehicle. They have given me good service, but not great.

I like good service for a reasonable price. I don't use the boat enough to justify the more expensive batteries (or at least that's my view).

Tex

What is a 31 series and what brand battery. I have a Walmart on my TX-17 with a 55lbs trolling motor. I run it on 4 because I fish mostly river. It won't last all day

Mine is a Stowaway tournament deepcycle that I bought at WallyWorld. 205 reserve capacity minutes(whatever that means). Series 31 is basically the group size of the battery.

Trojan Marine batteries - model number SCS225 - best trolling motor battery on the market. It's a group 30 battery - slightly shorter in length than the 31. If you want a smaller battery that still has a ton of punch, go with the model SCS220 - it's the 27 group battery, slightly smaller, slightly less capacity.

I hear people use the excuse that Trojan batteries aren't sold everywhere. Yep. They are right. Then again, I've never had to replace one on the road in all the years I've been using them. If your local battery store doesn't have them, some Bass Pro Shops sell them, and they are a very popular battery brand of most golf courses for the carts - they should be able to order them for you.

I've gone through a ton of batteries. When I finally got to Trojan, I stopped looking.

All the best,

Glenn

Ill ditto what Tritonglenn said. I have a pair of the scs 225's in my boat and they are bar none the bast batteried i have ever used. Mine are going on season 4 and as of last week when i checked all the cells they are still 100%. With all the days i fish every year im impressed to say the least. I have never had a battery last me longer then two seasons most die on me after one. Yep i take care of them too, i just use them hard.

Like Glenn i know i cant get them just anywhere but having them be reilable is more important to me. I cant tell you how many times i have had my batteries die at the worst possible time, like 8am on day 1 of a two day tourney only to suffer thru day one and have the local Wal-mart be out of stock on marine batteries( very common in my area).Yep thats happened to me more times then i care to mention. I liked the Wal-mart is everywhere warranty until it backfired on me more then once.

I just put a new Trojan SCS220 in my PT175 and fished the winds at Lake Fork Texas for three days and it performed great. I have a 12v 55lb MK maxxum variable speed motor. Still too early to give full approval, but first trip was much improved over the factory Interstates.

Back