Battery Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Burnette

Reaction score
I've been having a problem with my 175 tracker. The past 2 trips after 1-2 hrs fishig, with 2 f/f and live well on, my battery seems to go dead. When I hit the starter the f/f go dead and motor will not start. Acts like a low battery. I had the old battery checked at Wal-mart and it showed bad. I just went and purchased a new Ever start "deep cycle starting" battery. Wal-mart dude seemed to know less than me. Question is, will this battery work and what do ya'll think. Is a deep cycling for trolling only?

Oh, The gas guage just quit working also, shows E all the time. Thanks for any and all help.

Rick in Alabama

Tighten the bolts on the battery terminals. Check for corrosion. Check the acid level. Have the battery checked.

If all that works, leave the battery on the charger for a good long time.

If THAT doesn't work, make sure you buy the biggest freaking battery you can get, largest CCA and reserve amps.

The sending unit on your fuel guage is probably stuck. It MIGHT unstick the next time you refill the tank, but you may also have to pull it to see what the problem is, and may even have to replace it.

As to the batteries, my Interstates both died. I replaced them with Wal-Mart Everstarts. Deep cycle is for trolling motors only. You'll need a cranking battery for the engine. If you got a deep cycle and needed a cranking battery, just take it back. That's the nice thing about Everstarts and Wal-mart.

That sounds like a dead cell...have the battery re-checked and go from there. Your gauge not working could be a bad connection behind the dash or it could be as bad as Mo said.

Hey Mo...I got lucky..there's an Interstate Battery dealer right here in Dayton and so far I haven't had to buy a battery. I always make sure I have the reciept and have it checked if I think it's dyin' too soon. So far they stand behind them but, that's at the dealer level too...

TEE

Rick, it sounds like what you bought was a "dual purpose" battery and you should be fine with that. I run a similar group 27 dual purpose deep cycle/starting battery for my outboard and all accessories. it works great and i can run all my stuff all day with confidence that i wont run out of juice. Did the fuel guage stop working after you changed batteries? if it did make sure you got all the ground wires hooked up to the battery, there is one just for the fuel guage and if its not hooked up it will show empty all the time( know from experience).

Back