battery power ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
Is it better to go with a battery that has more CCA/MCA than original for both cranking and deep cycle? My cranking battery has 500 cca and 625 mca and my deep cycle has 600cca and 750 mca. thanks,kenny

More is always better, size and weight are the issues. I always use dual purpose batteries for my cranking / accessories power source. I try to get the biggest that will fit my trays (usually a Group 27). I get the most CCA/MCA I can get for that size battery. The higher the number the less wear and tear on the battery itself during starting. I also buy the biggest deep cycle batteries i can fit (Group 29's). RC (reserve capacity) is what your looking for in a deep cycle battery, the rc rating is the amount of minutes the battery will produce 25 or so amps under certain conditions. The only issue people have with batteries is the weight and the dimensions and sometimes the price, if you can afford a few extra pounds in the back of the boat get the biggest you can for the piece of mind. wally world has some real good deep cycle batteries, i think they are called Maxx (yellow case)and also a good dual purpose battery for around $70 a piece. Hope this helps,

Eric

I agree with Eric above, More is always better. I have also found that to be true about the price. Buy a cheap battery and you get one/two years with diminished power. I found the TM battery to be the biggest problem. After the original battery went out(3 years) I used a $65 27m deep cycle marine I found at BJ's(a wholesale club) it lasted 1.5 years. The next year I bought same size but higher price $110 at a boat store. It lasted for the past 2 seasons, went out in mid-Jan and still as strong as the day I bought it. And there are even better batteries out there, they just cost more. Having battery trouble can ruin an outing very fast.

Bill Kyte

Annother note is to check the date when you buy a battery. It's usually coded something like C-08 which would be Mar 2008. A battery that has been sitting around in a store is one to avoid. Buy where they are fresh and sell plenty, and you'll get a better battery.

Latest posts

Back