Battery or Trolling Motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
I have a PT 175 I purchased new in 2005. I have never been able to get much trolling time out of a battery. I purchased the biggest deep cycle Interstate battery that would fit in the battery tray (replacing the original battery). The trolling motor is the original motorguide 46 lb thrust. If I keep it on speed 5 for more than 5 minutes it will pop the breaker block near the battery. On speeds 1-4 it seems to operate OK. If I keep it on speed 4 for about 20

Hey paul

The funny thing is that my TM does the same thing when it is running on 5 it will trip the breaker. As for the battery being drained in that amount of time, I would check if the battery is ok even if it is new.. Also check your connections to the battery if they are loose that could also be the problem

Thanks for the info xmytruck, connections are tight at the battery as I pull the battery out to make sure water level is OK about every 10 trips (also orginal battery would last only about 15-20 minutes on constant trolling). How long does your battery last when trolling?

Paul - I had the 43lb thrust on my old 2002 PT175 and the motor would last nearly all day even with intermittent running on 5. Never tripped the breaker (or on my older set up - blew a fuse). Something tells me you have an issue with the trolling motor trying to pull too many amps through the wiring?

Paul,

I've got a 1995 TF 170 with the same trolling motor and the same problem on # 5, only get about a minute or two before it trips the breaker. I mostly operate on 3 or 4, but can go all day unless there is a wind, then it ain't worth beans! Plan on going to a 80# thrust next year. Good luck.

JP

Check your T/M props for line and/or debris. Fishing line behind the hub will keep trying to tighten against the shaft, stealing amps/thrust. It'll also eat up the shaft seal. (You do not want water intrusion past it!) A hub packed with mud/muck will greatly increase the weight of the prop, stealing amp/thrust again. When you have a free moment, take a flat file and lightly/gently knock off the burrs and nicks on the facing edge of the blades. Try not to remove thickness, just straighten the line of the blade and remove the dings. Check plugs and connectors for corrosion. Clean and re-install if necessary. Charge battery full, check fluid levels and fill, then charge again. If that doesn't improve your T/M, you should think about repairing/replacing it. Good luck!

You also might want to upgrade the wire gauge running to the TM. This will cause both a voltage drop and trip the breaker. Don't over look the fact that it may just be a weak breaker causing the problems. Options 3 is a bad or weak charger not charging the battery properly. Your set up on a group 27 DC battery should last you all day and then some. Yes have the battery tested, it could be bad out of the box.

BF

I had the same problem but with a 24 volt system. I added a second breaker and it solved my problem. This problem has nothing to do with the battery or charger.

I agree....wiring too smal. Run larger wires to trolling motor (6ga min)

Thanks everyone, I have checked to make sure nothing is behind the prop(even replaced the prop so I would have a spare in the boat). I think I will run a thicker gauge wire, should I increase the breaker size with the bigger wire?

xmytruck I have a 25HP 4-stroke, no issues so far. I know the dealership told me stabil, stabil, stabil. So everytime I put gas in it I use stabil. How about you?

I am going to start using stabil, right now I just use Quickleen, the only issue i had was the dealer putting the fuel filter on the wrong way, which left me out in the middle of the lake. they tried to blame it on the E-10 gas but then retracted that statement.. I basically went through two starters because of them...

thx

x

Latest posts

Back