Battery Meters

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Clevenger

Reaction score
OK...tell me if I've done something good or if I'm an idiot.

I have a volt meter on my depth finder which lets me know the status of my cranking motor in volts. I wanted something to indicate the power left in my trolling motor battery. I bought a "Faria" Battery Condition Indicator that I plan to mount in the panel where the trolling motor cables hook up (I've got a PT175). It shows, by volts, the condition of a battery. The indicators go from Empty (11.6 volts and below) to Full(12.7 volts and above). I was going to install a switch with it so I turn it off when not needed.

So...will this "theoretically" give me a good estimate of the remaining usage of the trolling motor battery (based, of course, on speed)?

Jim

i got a voltmeter out of a ford 900 semi.its hooked to a 3 way switch out of a mack,which has individual sides to it,so the ground is through each battery.i also hooked up a light in it for seeing at night.it works good,in the ballpark with my $100 fluke meter.you can go to any autoparts store and buy a voltmeter for a car for there.mine has been in the boat for 5 yrs now.

Thanks Jeff. Forgot to mention that the one I bought also has a light on it. It cost about $30 and is waterproof. Don't know if that is a good price or not.

Jim

Jim,

You really don't need to install a switch. The meter should only draw a few micro amps.

Russ

i forgot to mention,i got 2 batterys in my system,so i need the 3 pole switch.i would put the switch in anyway,i guess the thought of looking at the volts all the time would bother me,i dont know about anyone else,and that if you forgot to turn the light out would kill the battery over time.

I would say use the switch and the guage. Dont trust the numbers you read, use it relatively. That is when you know what a complete charge looks like on the guage AND what dead batteries look like on the guage, when you hit the switch to fire up the guage you will know how much juice you have left before you are dead.

If you want to get true voltage, get a hand held digital (Fluke makes some of the best) and test it when you need to know.

Mini

Latest posts

Back