Battery Life

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Read thru some old posts but still have a question. I have an Interstate cranking battery and it was dead this weekend. I hooked the charger up and left it over night. Boat started right up the next day. The battery is 3 years old. I was reading and seems that some of you say batteries die after about 3 years. I rented a cabin at Center Hill Lake this weekend to do some fishing, and I don't want to stress about the engine not firing. If it started right up, should I be worried anymore? I don't have a battery tester.

I would take it in and have it checked. My Interstates went belly up 4 months befroe the warrenty ran out.

Check the water level also .... mine are on their 4th year but, will be changed out next season. Have it checked for sure just to be safe.

Teri...My wife and I just got back from Dale Hollow smally fishin' and everything we caught was 40 feet deep or more...my best smally come from 50 ft.:blink:

Change the battery, if the old one drops out you'll kick your butt.

It's near the end of its time anyway.

I'm with others. Have it checked somewhere reliable - Autozone does pretty good. You can probably tow your boat over there, and they will likely check it while in the boat.

Remember, the ONLY water you should put in it, is DISTILLED. NEVER put regular water in it, it will shorten the battery life.

Tex

I would go with something other than Interstate when you replace it. I am in the automotive buisness and change out alot of Interstate batteries before their life should be over. When I bought my new Nitro, I had the dealer take the brand new Interstates out and install Trojan,s before I took it home. Interstates quallity has gone way down hill.

I'll echo a lot of the statements given here. My own experience with Interstates is they aren't very durable. On average, my car and motorcycle batteries have lasted a minimum of 3 years with most going well beyond 5. The Interstate Deep Cycle battery I have lasted 25 months (a bit over two years). To me, that's lousy. Well cared for lead-acid batteries should last at least three years and, on average, five (my own personal belief). When I went to look for a replacement Interstate, I was looking at a $95.00 price tag (ouch!). Ended up buying a new Bass Pro Deep Cycle for $69.99.

Go ahead and get a new cranking battery. Bass Pro has them for Marine use as does WalMart and Advance Auto Parts. I believe Sears even carries some Marine batteries. Dick's Sporting Goods sells batteries under the Minnkota brand - but they note on the label Made by Trojan so you get the same battery as the highly rated Trojan, but at a slightly cheaper cost. Make sure to buy the right battery for the right application - marine cranking battery for engine and accessories, deep-cycle for trolling motor. Good luck!

JC

You'll be fine Teri,...fish your bass off and then shake it in their faces!!:wub::blink:

I would just get a everstart from wally world. I have had great luck with there dual purpose cranking batteries. Just get the biggest one they have. I think mine were around 70 bucks. Remember that they run your live wells and other electronics. I think the dual purpose hold up better. Also remember to charge the cranking battery every time you get off the water as well. I know alot of people that forget to do that, that will cost you battery life as well.

I also like the dual purpose for my starting battery. With the dual purpose you dont have to worry about running it out of power quite as much because it has a far greater reserve capaity.

Personally im not a fan of the everstarts. I know i have posted that a million times before but im not. They are the same battery as the interstate, die hard and duralast. I have had nothing bit grief form them.

Also go to walmart and get youself a cheap of jumper cables. They could save your or someone elses day.

Back