Battery chargers

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilbert cales

Reaction score
I was wondering, if I purchase a onboard charger, should I get a 3 bank system? My trolling motor is 24 volt, and I have a cranking battery. Should I also have the cranking battery connected? One more question, I will buy a guest, where should I buy it?

Thanks, Bubby

For what little extra it costs the three bank is worth it. With the three bank you will always have you starting battery topped off and never have to worry about it being dead when you get to the ramp. I know some people will tell you that the motor will charge the cranking battery but if you fish a lot of small lakes you wont run it enough to get the battery fully charged. The third bank is just extra insurance. The 2623a would be a good choice, 10 amps for each trolling mattery and 5 amps for the cranking to keep it charged.

As far as where to buy thats up to you, i got mine years ago from bass pro shops.

YES,YES,YES you will never be sorry that you got the 3 bank to keep all the batteries charged. You can buy direct from Guest just contact Sue D and you can do it over the phone. Beware she is a hoot to talk to so don't expect to just place an order and run.

BF

3 bank is the way to go. You want isolated charging for your TM batteries. And though your outboard alternator will normally charge your cranking battery, if you fish a lot of tourneys, the 3rd bank is very handy.

Say you fish a place that is close to the launch and don't run a lot and catch a limit early. Your aerators will be pumping all day along with your graphs and GPS while your engine isn't running and charging the cranking battery. Then you go to weigh and and have to trailer the boat and leave the recirc on for another hour. This all wears down on the cranking battery. That's why the 3rd bank is so important. Also, it's a good maintenance cycle during winter months to keep the battery from freezing or discharging.

Where to get it? Sue will probably have to tell you the closest dealer to you. I would recommend the 2631. That's the model I use. I'm on my 3rd one and have not had a problem with any of them and I use them HARD! They also FULLY charge batteries unlike some of the competition that only charges 90% and then gives the batteries a memory.

Back