Battery Charger Recommendation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason L

Reaction score
I am going to order a new TM and FF tomorrow from Bass Pro. Can someone link me a charger from Bass Pro that I should buy for my cranking battery. Either stand alone or a 2 banker to charge the TM and cranking batteries. Thanks

Since they aren't showing the Guest chargers on the website, I would recommend either this Minn Kota onboard 2 bank:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=50435&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=browse

or this stand alone Minn Kota portable charger:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=52550&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=browse

It's too bad they don't list the Guest chargers. I'd recommend them over anything I've ever used, with the Minn Kota chargers coming in second.

I've owned the Dual Pro / Three bank Pro chargers. They worked well, but I had problems with them overcharging batteries, not working well at campsites due to low current, and had several of them replaced. I changed over to Guest last year, and have completely enjoyed my new onboard charger. I don't have overcharging / undercharging at campsite problems any more.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks Glenn,

How many amps do I need to buy? 10, 20 or 30

Jason, if you only need a 2 bank charger, I have a used dual pro 10 amps per bank that I would let go cheap. I upgraded to a 3 bank Guest (Thank you Sue D) because I wanted my starting battery charged also.

BF

5 amps per bank is fine for most 27 group batteries if you don't need to charge batteries quickly - thats too a slow charger for a lot of tournament fisherman. 10 amps per bank is plenty for most everyone out there. Unless you are running a bunch of 31 group batteries, and need them charged in a jiffy, in which case I'd go to 15 per bank. I seldom know of anyone that needs that much juice, including me. My charger is a 30 amp - 10 amps per bank x 3 banks, and I run two 30 group trolling motor batteries and a 27 group cranking battery.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn - Quick question, what do you mean when you say 27 Group or 31 Group Batteries?

Thanks - Dan

The "group" is the size of the battery. A lot of starting batteries are 24 group - I happen to like a slightly larger battery for my starting, so I go with a 27 group. Most trolling motor batteries that come dealer rigged are 27 group, but you can go up in size to 29, 30, or 31 group. I run Trojan batteries of the 30 group size for my trolling motor (SCS 225's). Generally, the larger the number, the larger the battery. However, differences in numbers don't always equal how much of a jump. For instance, Trojan has a 24 group starting battery (24SM-1000) that produces 1000 cranking amps. My 27 group Trojan starting battery (27SM-1100) produces 1100 cranking amps. Not a huge jump between 24 and 27 on that one, but I like all the power I can get for the big Opti's. Just personal preference.

The group size of batteries does NOT however, pertain to the power rating of a battery - it simply is the case size. For instance, Trojan has 24 group starting batteries in 550, 650, 850, and 1000 cranking amps. Generally, though, a higher number on the group does equate to more power / run time.... but you have to check the cranking amps / battery capacity to ensure you are buying enough battery for your needs.

Here is a link to Trojan batteries site so you can see the different size and case dimensions. Just click on the different battery to get the size of the case, cranking amps, and capacity:

http://www.trojan-battery.com/Products/Marine.aspx

All the best,

Glenn

Back