Batteries

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Barbieri

Reaction score
If you have an on board charger should you still remove the batteries and store them inside for the winter? Or can you keep them in the boat with the charger on. I'm in CT.

I have stored my boat in a tent garage next to the house for the past three years with the batteries on the on boad charger without any problems.Make sure the water level is at full before storing,a fulley charged battery will not freeze.;)

I leave mine in all winter with the charger running. But I do unhook all the wires from both batteries in case anything is putting a drain on them or shorts out.

Although if you can easily take them out and store them somewhere warm, it sure won't hurt them any.;)

Steve

Depends on whether it's inside in a garage or outside...if outside I'd remove and maintain it inside so it's ready for spring:)

Here is what Trojan battery says on thier website about storage of batteries

"Periods of inactivity can be extremely harmful to lead acid batteries. When placing a battery into storage, follow the recommendations below to insure that the battery remains healthy and ready for use.

NOTE: Storing, charging or operating batteries on concrete is perfectly OK.

The most important things to avoid:

1. Freezing. Avoid locations where freezing temperature is expected. Keeping a battery at a high state of charge will also prevent freezing. Freezing results in irreparable damage to a battery's plates and container.

2. Heat. Avoid direct exposure to heat sources, such as radiators or space heaters. Temperatures above 80

I charged mine fully last winter, then removed them from the boat and stored them in my garage on some wood. During a nicer winter day about half-way through the winter season, I put the batteries back in the boat to charge, and then removed then for storage back in the garage. No problems at all when warm weather rolled-around finally.

NOTE: Storing, charging or operating batteries on concrete is perfectly OK.

I personally don't recommend storing directly on concrete.

I've always heard that storing batteries on concrete would draw the charge out of them. I have no idea why because the battery is very well insulated by the case. Is this just another old wives tale?

Harpo

I'm not taking any chances with the concrete.

Waterwings all i can say is according to Trojan battery its perfectly ok to do so. That quote was taken directly off thier website.

Like i said i still put mine on wood too, its an old habit that wont die.

Harpo here is a quote again directly on thier faq section of thier website on the issue

What are some common myths associated with batteries?

Great info Jim B. So how many of us will store directly on concrete? Probably none. LOL

I'm waiting on Trep to wade in with a comment about 'why winterize?'.

You don't need to wait for Trepper, I'll say it..........Winterizing is for water skiers and Yankees. ;):lol:

Harpo

Hey Harpo dont be callting this Boston boy no Yankee!!!!! lol:D

This CT boy either. The Yankees S*ck!!! The Mets do too for that matter :) Thanks for the replies!!!

Trep may not winterize, but he does accessorize to match his girly shoes.:D:D

Storeing on concrete

2. Store the battery in a cool, dry location, protected from the elements.

The key word is "dry" a damp area will cause moisture build up on the battery case, post, floor completeing the circuit for a slow drain? Least thats what I was taught. You want to try something neat, check the voltage in your radiator on you car or truck.. Take a digital volt meter and place the red lead on the pos batt terminal. Now submerge the black lead into your coolant and take reading?? You will be surprised.

BF

Back