Batteries Hooked in Series Voltage output

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Hayes

Reaction score
When hooking to 2 12 volt batteries in a series what should the volt meter reading be? The reason I am asking is my meter is only reading 18 volts. I am not for sure if that is correct or it should be measuring 24 volts.

Both batteries are fully charged and showing a 12 volt reading on the meter.

Thanks

When connecting your batteries in Series you are doubling the voltage while maintaining the same capacity rating (amp hours). Just use a jumper cable between the negative of the first battery and the positive of the second battery. Run your negative wire off of open connector of the first battery and your positive off of the open connector on your second battery.

Are you sure you are taking the positive from one and negative from the other?

Double is correct. A fully charged battery is over 12V so something is wrong with 1 or both of the batteries. Bad news is it is recommended to change both in a set at a time. Sorry, Looks like a new pair in your future if they are both really fully charged.

Yes, I have them hooked up correctly in a series. I went for a test run and the trolling motor is working great (just put a MinnKota ProMax 80lbs. on a Tracker 175, it will just about put that boat on plane at 100%, the lift assist is very nice).

... I am going to test my meter on another friends boat and see if the batteries he has hooked in a series is reading 18 volts or 24. If its 24 volts then one of my batteries must be bad.

Back