Bassmaster University - Good use of $100.00

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, I just got home from my second day at Bassmaster U, here in Charlotte. For the most part, it was very well spent money. Here's my take. BTW, each pro does two 50-60 minute presentations, and ALL are very good about signing autographs (if you are so inclined).

Danny Joe Humphrey

#1 - Floating worms

#2 - Surface tactics

Good delivery. Decent knowledge. Came away with some additional knowlegde in both areas. Worth 2 hours of your time.

Davy Hite

#1 Jigs

#2 Spinnerbatis

Nice presentation. Good information. Entertaining. Jig information better than SB info. Worth the time.

Tony Bean

#1 Smallmouth

#2 More smallmouth

Tony is certainly an entainer. Very enjoyable. However, it was 2 hours I'll never get back. I bet I don't have 1/2 page written down in notes. Wouldn't be on my list of return engagements, except maybe at a party or at dinner.

Jay Yelas

#1 Heavy Cover/Jigs/Bassmaster Classic

#2 Jerkbaits

Very spirtual presentation. Heard the Bass Master Classic story most of the first hour + some additional jig info. Second hour had a jig follow up, then jerkbait fishing (hard). Not bad. Once we got past the stories, and got into the information, it was good. Worth the time. By the way - book coming out (heard it about 3-4 times today).

Rich Tauber

#1 Finesse baits - gitzits

#2 Drop shots

Best combination of enjoyment AND information. Really gets the info out there in a very enjoyable setting. Definitely worth the money.

David Fritts

#1 Crankbaits

#2 Crankbaits

You get a VERY SOLID 2 hours of informaiton from David. He hits the floor running. I could 'study' about crankin' for the rest of my life, and not know what he does. Very, very, imformative. The new DT Rapala lures are basically his design/creation. And by the way, as he explained their features, I'd go get me some if you don't have any. More 'levels' on the way later this year. They are close to a DT6 now.

If you haven't been, you should go. Need a brush up, this is a good place.

Later.

Tex

Hey Tex, this sounds good. How do I find out more about when B.U. comes to my town?

If I don't start catching more fish, PETA is going to give me the Angler of the Year Award.

Harpo

Anyone from the board going to the Boston Seminar? This will be my first time going.

Please note. If you are going to attend one of these, you MUST get there early to get a good seat. Though the audio (microphone, etc.) seemed to be good at our event; the early bird got the better seats. You simply cannot see what they are doing when they demo some of the techniques up front. We were in a long narrow conference room. They split us into an A and B group in different rooms.

Was able to tape record (cassette recorder) and it came out pretty well, because of the audio equipment.

Tex

Tex, did David Fritts make any comments on a preference for flat or round crankbaits based on water temperature?

I don't think that he addressed this item in particular. He talked about clear vs stained vs no-visibility, and how color (he says there are only 12 important ones) vs vibration matters.

He's not a big proponent of eratic cranking. He favors a medium retrieve speed that is constant; occasionally using an upper sweep of the rod (again - medimum speed) to vary the bait's track. He indicated that this type of change in retrieve, will prompt a strike quite often.

Tex

Tex, thanks for the heads up on getting a good seat. Do you usually stay in the same room and the anglers move from room to room or is there a mad dash from room to room by the participants? How early would you show up to get a good seat?

The speakers move around. As Rick indicated, I believe it all depends upon the room/setup. But you do need to get there early and get staked out. I left my coat/soft sided briefcase on my seat for quite a long time with no problem. I figured that most there were 'good' folks. That kept my seat marked, but the second day (when everyone else knew the trick), I had to settle for a little worse vantage point.

Tex

tex,

glad you enjoyed it and provided some good objective feedback. i think i'll try to sign up for the tulsa bu classes. it will be tough as sat and sun are fishin days! maybe the class will make the rest of the sat/sun better.

also, read that they had a techniques book or guide for the class. did they give out any literature or anything?

jd

The handouts are pretty slim pickens. Really, it's literature on what is going to be taught, and a Bassmaster U magazine with some stuff in it. Main purpose of the mag looks to be something that you can get autographed, if you lean that way.

Tex

thanks, not big on autographs except the one on the bottom of my paycheck. soonerfan and i just signed up for the class in tulsa. if anyone else in oklahoma is going, let us know. thanks again tex.

jd

Tex,

I'm glad you liked it. I just signed up last night for the Lansing, MI one on March 15 & 16.

Craig, did you sign up yet?

Marke

Back