Bass Opens & Classic

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelley Perry

Reaction score
Did any of you see the field of Classic qualifiers for next years Classic? It will be made up of 25 from the Tour, 10 from E-50's, 5 from Open Championship and 5 from Federation Championship. The Classic winner and Angler of the Year get automatic berths which makes the field 47. They are NOT taking the top 3 from the Opens now. Not quite right, what do y'all think?

SP

In the last several years of Invitationals I fished, I saw the field cut from the top 5 of each division, to the top 3, then the switch to the consistently changing Open format, all of these (Pro-Am's) funding the Top 100, 150, E-50 or whatever it will be called.

ESPN / B.A.S.S. seems to be desperately trying to regain marketshare that the numerous other trail/series have garnered. For the longest time they (B.A.S.S.) weren't the biggest, but the only kid on the block. Now, with ESPN at the helm, the battle for the box office has appeared more important than their (B.A.S.S.'s) original intent. I felt their goal used to be to get people out there enjoying our sport, not competing in a "Battle of the Network Stars". (LOL!) Don't let it get to you. I'm willing to bet it'll change some more. The Athlete Advisory Board (mostly elite series pro's) will see to that.

Don't fret over the things you can't change, just go out there and do your best. That's what is most important of all. My coach used to tell me, "You can never lose when you're doing your best." Good luck!

Any of you folks know how to sign up to be an observer in the E-50 events?

One of the articles that I read on this subject, suggested that the Athlete Advisory Board (referenced above by Dan), are the ones that actually suggested this change.

Looking at it from a long distance, why would you automatically give someone a spot in the Classic, that came in 2nd or 3rd in an abbreviated trail (Fall Opens)?

In one way, I appreciate the fact that they are looking to 'fine tune' the rules/requirements, based upon feedback and the current state of fishing.

Now, let's just hope that both organizations have done their homework, and don't require any 'tweaking', after the trail starts (like what happened to BASS this year).

Tex

Back