Bad mannered birds in the boat shed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Glover

Reaction score
Finally built the boat shed for my new (to me) PT18. Left it open on the sides for ventilation and found there is no problem from the trees all around the place. BUT, the birds have discovered a nice place to rest...on the joists and rafters. Their presence is unmistakable. I know a fake owl will discourage some sea birds. Will that work under a shed roof in the woods in Alabama?

jag

A friend of mine stapled chicken wire on the bottom of all of the rafters and completly bird proofed his. It seemed to work well.

david.....

they also sell a plastic mesh at depot for like 5 bucks that is called a bird screen, it works good i use it in all my building at the golf course. very easy to install and no cutting.

g3mike

There is also chemical filled perches that you install on the rafters. I had birds thick in my quanset and barns when I lived in Iowa but I just force fed them some lead shot:p

TOXIC

Thanks, especially for David and g3mike. I'll try that Home Depot bird screen. Would go the 12 ga. route but with my recent performance in a a dove shoot, the expense would be great. Besides, they have so many replacements waiting in the woods all around this place.

Toxic: Are you serious? are there really some kind of chemical pouches that would keep them out?

Jack

I used to own a Pest Control Company and we did just about everything you could consider a "pest" including, bats, raccoons, skunks, groundhogs, fox, deer, etc.. One of my biggest clients was Morton Buildings Co., and they had an on-going service for birds. I don't know if it is still manufactured but a company called Rid-A-Bird used to make perches that would go on the flats of boards or stick out from the building (some birds "perch" others "roost") and they had a wick in the middle. You filled the perch with chemical and when the birds touched it, they got all confused and flew off never to be seen again....LOL!! Problem I had was filling the perches, rubber gloves and all you normally had to sit in the truck for a while and get your bearings :huh:(another reason I got out of that business). Of course, I was licensed for restricted use pesticides but there may be a consumer market.

TOXIC

Back