Avoid River Marine Supply in Miami

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Glover

Reaction score
Ordered a Humminbird on the net from River Marine Supply in Miami because they beat everyone's price. Should have known better when they said it wasn't in stock but they would special order it for that great price. That was on Oct. 11. Today they tell me they can't get the unit for any less than an increased price of $29 or so. It's called "Bait and Switch" in the auto sales business....and I guess it works on some people buying stuff for their boats too. Needless to say, I cancelled the order.

jag

Jack, they should honor that price no matter what happens unless it is a true bait and switch.

I'd fill it out in the dealer report card on the lest side of this page.

Bill

Yea, I believe the FTC also takes a dim view of such deceptive commercial practices, as well as state attorney generals!! Might be worth filing a complaint in Florida. It would certainly help establish any pattern of this and may serve to warn River Marine about playing fair.

If you have an order in hand with the originally stated price, that's usually a valid a contract. If they won't sell to you at the ordered price, they are in breach of the contract.

Is it worth $29 to fight them over it? Depends on how strongly you feel about such matters.

Unfortunately, the only written information I had is gone. I emailed them first asking why they didn't list the 37 along with the rest of the Matrix series. They emailed back they could special order the unit for the low price. At which time I callled them to place the order and the low price was reaffirmed verbally...twice during that phone call, the second time being when I he reviewed the credit card info including the exact amount the card would be charged.

Loss of the email happened just as I was coming back to the cabin here from home and going into the process of setting up a new ISP for here....lost a bunch of mail in the "sent items" box.

I ordered it again yesterday from Boatersland via the internet and it was $30 higher than the River Marine price, but at least that company ships quick and only charges when shipped.

Thanks for all the advice...sure wish I had something in writing and I'd go after them. I will fill out the dealer report card. jag

Back