Avalanche Pics / ? for Bassin Fool

• Thread starter Casey Campbell [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~librar
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey Campbell

Reaction score
Finally got around to taking some pictures...

Bassin Fool, I think you have your XR6 mounted on the fourth hole down from the top? Do you happen to know how far down that puts the center of your prop from the back edge of the pad? Mines mounted in the 2nd hole from the top, and I was just wondering what you've found out from tinkering with yours before I start messing around with mine. I know the engines are a little different, but I was thinking your experiences might give me a head start.
Av Side 2.jpg

I have an Avalanche too. I am having same problem. I think the motor is mounted in the wrong holes. Dealer tells me its fine. Am also considering a "tail" for mine to help cure the porpoising (sp). Does yours help?

Raise the engine 1 more hole. Mine's set at the fourth hole from the top. Looking at your picture your's needs to come up, one more hole. This will eliminate some of your porpoising and give you a better hole shot. This boat like's the engine mounted high. When you trim all the way down and punch the throttle the boat should stay almost flat as it jumps on plane. Mine has very little rise to it unless I leave the trim up to much. I'll check those measurements for you and get back to you Monday nite.

Thanks Bassin...

Ken, the foil has helped immensely with the porpoising, but you may want to try changing the engine height and such as Bassin Fool reccomends before putting one on. I would much rather not have the thing hanging off the back of my motor, but at the time, I was looking for anything that would help. Just depends on your comfort level with putting holes in your motor. I have a friend who had good results with an SE 300 and I found one for $20, so I took the easy way out. But when I think of drilling those 4 holes in my shiny new Opti, I wish I'd have played around more with the motor position first. But who knows, I still may have put it on in the end anyway. I'm gonna try raising the motor a bit and see how it behaves without the foil and let you know. May not be until the fishing slows down, though...

Ken acording to what Tracker supplies the dealer with for rigging your dealer is correct. It should be 3/4 above transom with a 14 5/8 by 23 Tempest prop. however if Bassin Fool is running his up higher with no problems that may be something to consider. The next question is what year is your boat? Ed

ed,

Are you talking about Ken's boat or the mounting of my motor from the picture? They've propped it with a Laser II. Any big differences between the two props? Also, I'm an idoit when it comes to these things, but what does "3/4 above transom mean"?

Ive also been given the advice of switching to 21 pitch, 3 blade prop. I was told it would help with a little higher RPMs and top end speed. Im getting only about 5200 RPMs and about 50 MPH. Any thoughts? The speed was GPS not dash board speedo.

Thanks

I believe my prop is a 23 tempest on my boat. I'm pushing

anywheres from 5600 to 5800 rpm,s and depending on weight in the boat running 55 to 63 mph. By myself and a slight head breeze I can run 65 gps. I'm considering having my prop reworked this winter to get a little extra lift when running with a load. (ie. adding some cup) I find that when this boat gets that eaxtra lift I gain about 3-4 mph and I'm running right on the back 4 inches of pad. Won't do it with 2 people and full tournament load..

septik, your boat is correct as far as tracker specs go as to mounting height. 3/4 above transom is one hole. I'm wondering about what year Ken's boat is???? as to the difference between Lazer II ANd Tempest I'll have to do my homework, can't remember off the top of my head. Also Ken do you also have a 150??

Back