Are you sick of my questions yet?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Ok, another car question (sorry)....The tracker site says my boat package weight is approx 2466 lbs. Then you load the boat with gas and gear (maybe 500 addtl lbs, no idea really). So, let's go with 3000 lbs which I think is equal to 300 lbs tongue weight. A Ford Sportrac is rated at 3500 lbs, towing capacity. Not from the bumper (because we already had that discussion) but from an installed hitch, is a truck or SUV rated at 3500 lbs enough to tow the boat without killing the truck or an SUV rated at that weight.

That was my last car/truck/SUV question, I swear......at least until I think of something else. You guys are just so dang smart. You have replaced my father for all my dumb questions....which he never seemed to give the right answer to.

It depends on the motor and tranny. The FRAME can tow that much. If it's a v-6, I wouldn't suggest it.

3500 is a really light "max tow weight". I'd probably keep looking. Now, if it's an Explorer SporTrak, I'd expect it to have a higher tow weight.

I checked my Silverado.. I HAD a 1500 v-6 auto ext cab. Chevy says it can tow 4700 pounds... Trust me when I say "cha rite!" My boat and trailer has got to be under 3000 pounds (Nitro 911 with 225opti) and that v-6 did some serious whining getting to 60 and past 60 it was chewing between gears so much it never knew if it was in drive or reverse :). So, to answer your question, HECK NO! :(

Okay, checked Ford's site. The Explorer Sportrak comes with a v-6 and 5300 towing, not 3500.. was that a typo dear?

In any case, v-6, nah.... then again, your Infinity probably had a v-6 too, so who am I to say? :)

Ok, I lied....I forgot one thing...When the specs say:

Towing Capacity: 2000/4500

What does that mean? I am guessing maybe they offer 2 engine sizes, maybe V6 & V8? Vehicles like the Acura MDX are rated like this.

I am really done this time.

Teri, sometimes they put both weights on there one for standard equipment and the other for optional tow accessories. they also sometimes rate then this way for different motor tranny combo's. Why do you want to get rid of the infinity? if it dosent tow well enough look into something with a v8 and a full frame, not a uni body. A durango hemi would be just the ticket.

BTW mike, your 911 weighs in at 3650 package weight, i believe that is unloaded and no fuel and with the std efi not the opti.

Teri Didn't you say you have access to a Sport Trac? If so why not try it out? Most hitches are rated (Example only) 3500/350 tow weight/tongue weight. The Explorer/Tahoe/Durango are all good tow vehicles. The v6 in any of these should do the job. Terraine also plays into how much truck/suv you need to tow with, Indiana is not like towing over the Rockies.. Last note (with out trying to start a feud) I stick to US built, if for no other reason than parts are more available if they do break.

BF

1st off, some manufacturers recommend not towing for say...500 miles or so for break-in.

Also check the rear-axle ratio as well. It wouldn't do you any good to get the right engine size without a good enough rear-end. For instance a Mazda 4X2 3.0 with 3.73 rear-axle towing capacity is: 7500lbs...but the 4.0 with 3.08 Rear-axle ratio is only 6000 pounds. That being considered, you can change transmission type and the # will go down considerably for both towing Max weights...confusing enough yet? hehe

best thing to do will be decide, up front, on what you need in max capacity, then check every vehicle you are interested in.

or...forget all the headache and buy a Tahoe with 3.73 and don't worry about it.

I do not plan to get rid of my Infiniti. I was asking mostly in reference to towing with the Ford Sportrac but I noticed alot of the mid size SUV's are rated for 3500lbs.

Say Teri -- some dealer will let you take a car home for a test drive -- hook up you boat and give it a try..

Sometimes you can get going ok while towing -- but stopping -- That may be a different story -- check it out--..

My 01 full size Chev with a V6 -- has to work going uphills or into a good head wind while towing my Targa 18sc with a 115 4stroke and 40 gals of gas. Wish I had a V8-- same gas mileage but more power to tow with.

Good luck Teri -- you only go around once -- "Get what you want" to begin with..

HaleDamage

Teri, the tow rating on a Sport Trac is 5080 lbs.

The rule of thumb is 75% of maximum tow rating is about where you want to be for your regular towing.

Could you tow at the max weight? Sure. Would it be safe in every situation? Probably not. Would it be hard on the vehicle? Yep.

Tow rating is more than just engine power. It's also about stopping and manuevering and emergency handling. Longer and wider wheel bases, vehicle weight, suspension, all contribute to how well a vehicle tows a load.

Also, for most vehicles, the tow rating is lower if the tow vehicle itself is heavily loaded, so you want to have extra capacity for that situation.

If you tow in uneven terrains then i would say maxing out a tow vehicle is asking for problems. Towing 3000# up a hill is like towing 6000#s.

Just my thoughts

Remember also....Ya gotta stop it once you get it going. "Pulling" is important but not as important as "Stopping" The first time you get pushed through an intersection trying to stop you will know. I could not safely tow the 929 if I did not have the trailer brakes. Ask KB, even with trailer brakes hard stops require skill!! Just something to consider. I do not know what the sport trac's GVW is. We are gonna make mini get a pilot's license for his next rig. His takeoffs are ok, it's the landings he has to work on!!

TOXIC

I had a V6 explorer (basically what the sporttrak "used" to be) and I pull a TX-17 that probably weighs less than you boat. That V6 really struggled to pull that boat and it was rated for 5000#. You had to give it loooong stopping distances and the rear squatted down bad enough I thought about putting airbags on it. I got a F150 with a 4.6L V8 instead and have no problem pulling my boat now.

Get a full sized truck or SUV with a V8 you won't be sorry.

damuniz

If I bought something right now, it would be a used 2003 V8 Toyota Forerunner which is what I was going to buy but bought the Infiniti instead.

Back