Anyone Tow with a TrailBlazer?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Greco

Reaction score
I just bought a TrailBlazer LTZ 4x4. It has the 270HP engine and 3.42 gears with 17" tires. I've heard and read mixed comments on it's towoing performance. I know the Bassmaster's used to or still do tow with this vehicle. It definitely rides nice and has every option I think of. I'm towing a 18.5 ft. Triton.
Trailblazer1.jpg

Nice Trailblazer. Personally, I know a 16' Deep V Tracker and have no complaints what so ever. It has plenty of power coming out of that I-6 engine. It also has great stopping power, I've had to stand on the brakes a couple of times and never felt like i was in trouble. I know others here tow with them (I looked before I bought). If you have any other questions let me know.

Adam

I dont know about a trailBlazer but I have a Ford Explorer which is about the same I have the heavy duty tow pkg oil cooler traney cooler and I pulled my friends 19 ft. Javelin 700 miles mostly in small hills and mountains was very disapointed with the power factor and it cooked my tranny fluid Ive got a 929 and wont even think about towing it I think you would be allright towing a tracker or light aluminum boat but when you get into the heavy glass boats you are bettr off going wiyh abigger truck with a big V8 just my thoughts

JD

Good to hear mostly positive results. JD, I have an F-150 w/V8 also but for family outings I plan on using the TB. Anyway, I plan on towing it tonight to the lake after work. I'll let you know how it tows the Triton.

I've been towing with TB's for 6-7 years......everything from 896's, to 901's, 929's, 2 520's and a Z20........never had an issue with any of them!! You'll love that TB. I lease new ones's every 2-3 yrs and I'm on my 5th one now......they rock!!:wub:

Mac

Jim,....no mistake on my part. I work for GM....and I'm quite familiar with Trail Blazers!;) (I've been leasing them for the past several years and I like them ALOT more than the older S-10's...they're longer, wider, and have much better engines!!)

I've leased both the older S-10's and the new TB's. The new Trail Blazers are FAR BETTER for towing than the older S-10's. The I-6 motor's in the TB's are awesome....far better than the older V6's!!

Mac

Towed the Triton last night and it did very well. The only problem is when launching alone how/what do you tie the rope off too. In my truck I would tie the rope to my my bed rails. With the TB I had no where to tie it off to and had to get my feet wet. Any ideas?

Pull closer to the dock if there is one? Not being a smarta$$. Just with such a short wheelbase that may be normal? Even with my F150 it works out that way sometimes, kind of depends on the ramp I guess.

BF

Bruce, I'm close to the dock but that is not the problem. When I'm by myself and back the boat down it will free float and start to drift. I could just jump in if it stays close enough to the dock but I don't want to take chances. With my truck I always could tie off to the bed rails and direct the boat to the dock to tie her up and get it started. Was looking for ideas on how people launch with SUV's.

Al - I tow with an SUV. When I launch solo, one end of the rope is hooked to the bow eye or cleat of the boat and the other end has a carabiner clip. Since I like to have a really good view of the trailer as I back down, I pop the hatch and leave it open. That leaves the U shaped hook piece on the floor where the latch engages exposed and I simply hook the rope to that. Other options include hooking the boat to the handle of the giant pin holding my trailer's swing-away tongue in position (the big orange handled piece). Hope that helps!

We have an S-10 Blazer. It tows fine, a little better than the Sonoma. I tie off the anchor rope to the roof rack when I don't have a dock to use. With a dock I back down less far then pull the boat off with bow & stern ropes. I can get it off a lot faster that way and the stern rope allows me to keep the back close. Take it slow.

Rich & Jim, Good ideas! I'm going to have to try those techniques next time out.

Back