Anyone seen a 2010 Z7 in person. Photo/Questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja 252

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new Z7 in 2010 and it looks like the updated 2010 Z7 has some features I'm interested in. Unfortunately the local BPS doesn't have one yet.

The Tracker website says a Lowrance HDS-5 and HDS-7 are an option in the dash and on the bow of a 2010 Z7, Looking at photos I found on the internet (see below if I did it right) confirms they have made more space in the dash and bow for electronics. I'd sure love to have the larger HDS-8 in the dash but I need a measurement between the gauges to see if I can make it fit.

The photos also look like the floorboard under the dash has a tunnel that is designed for a hot foot. If this is right it sure would give us taller folks more room.

The tracker website says Springfield has a 2010 Z7, but when I called the sales guy didn't know anything about it. If anyone sees one, I like to confirm these things.

Thanks

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0353.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

I almost forgot. I don't like the new way they are running the steering hoses/cables, fuel line and water temp sender. Not a clean install IMO. I've seen a few 09 Z7's rigged this way and this 2010 has the clamshell.

DSC01651.JPG

Those pictures are of one of the Z-7's that we had at the Dealers Convention this year. That very boat is in Springfield MO, but there are a couple of 09s that need to be moved before it makes the showroom floor.

The HDS 8 is about 2 inches wider than the 7, Honestly, if it would fit I think they would have listed it as an option. I have a meeting up there Friday and will find out for sure and let you know, but Im pretty sure it wont.

As far as the plate for the Hot Foot, its there, I have not had it off so I dont know what is behind it, but it is pretty much identical to the one on the Z-8 that you take out to install a Hot Foot, so Im pretty sure thats what its for.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply Mike. I figured the HDS-8 wouldn't fit, but I just have to explore all my options. I found the photos of that boat on a spanish website. It looks like the boat pictured on the 2010 web site, but it's not. The one on the website has a single orange console.

Thanks again for your help.

Yea, we had dealers from Spain, Australia, China, and a few other countrys this year. Some of those guys are a riot.

KVD had his boat there letting Hummingbird Ram Mount a graph the size of a flat screen tv on the side of his console. It looked (and worked) very nice. If they can mount that on the side of the console, your HDS 8 should be a peice of cake.

I could email you the pic if you would like, it would give you some kind of an idea what it would look like.

I really like the idea of having it in the dash, so I guess I'm just going to get a HDS-7. I sure wish Mercury Smartcraft stuff would work with Lowrance HDS units, that would be nice.

The guages aren't Smartcraft guages are they? I am in the same boat as you. I am selling my 02 901 for a z7. Was set on an 09 staff boat for a great deal, then I saw the 2010's and love what Nitro has done.

I don't believe the boat in the photos has Smartcraft gauges, however I am a big fan of them. I just wish Smartcraft was compatible with Lowrance HDS units. If they were you could use the electronic dash on the HDS and just have one huge screen in the dash (HDS-10) with no gauges at all. Cost savings with no gauges could go towards the HDS-10. That would be cool.

I will probably go with a Merc Monitor.

http://blogs.mercurymarine.com/messenger/wp-content/uploads/899883363MercMonitorSS.pdf

Ia it the angle of the picture or is the dash board a lot higher? Seems to me it would be a little awkward to be looking over especially coming out of the hole?

Tom that dash does look a lot higher then the old one. Id bet that was done to make some room for the bigger fish finders.

My personal .02. I dont like the new dash at all, it looks kinda ugly.

The 2010 dash does look a little taller to me. As soon as I can sit in one I measure it. Personally, I like the front and sides of the 2010 dash, but I don't care for the all black look on the glove box and steering wheel side.

DSC_0377.jpg

Here is the 2009 dash

DSC01642.JPG

DSC01637.JPG

And the 2010 Dash

DSC_0357.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

I think I read somewhere or imagined it, but all three Z boats are using the same console in 2010. I do like some of the changes, but I am holding out for a Z-8 one day.

I sure would like to have had one of those ladders or at the very least a handle on the back of my 2008 Z-7. That is one of my biggest beefs with this boat along with the X96 in the dash as the starter unit.

It almost looks like the entire dash is fiberglass. If that is the case, Nitro did really well on this one. If it's a plastic cover, I'd be disappointed, as that would be a whole lot of plastic to replace if it ever cracked. Looking at the all-white dash from the inside of the boat, viewing from the passenger seat - it looks to be all one piece fiberglass. It's "different", but for some reason... I like it.

I like the big dash spot for a larger in-dash unit. More companies should do this. Hats off to Nitro for taking notice.

I really like the dual step areas between the seats. That's a really nice feature on these boats. Keeps the seats from getting messed up, and that's great.

Really glad to see the Nitro ladder system on the back. Wish every boat company had one. I love the one on my Triton, but wish everyone would get onboard with this concept, as it can be a lifesaver (and I'm speaking from experience unfortunately).

Plenty of cup holders. You could hold a party on this thing! :lol:

Seats look pretty good too.

One thing I really can't believe that Nitro hasn't got onboard with yet - that dang steering wheel. With a hydraulic system, that steering wheel is going to be off center in no time flat. It would be so much nicer to have a evenly spoked wheel, so no matter how it turns on you, it always looks (and feels) natural. Hey Nitro! Are you reading this? Get with the program! :lol::lol::lol: Seriously though - they need to change that.

Fit and finish is a little off on some of those pics. Look at the port rod locker lid in the overhead photos. Looks to be about a 1/2" gap towards the stern end of the locker, where it meets the middle. Nitro isnt' the first, and won't be the last with this issue. It's a pet-peeve of mine. I see lots of boat companies with this problem, and it shouldn't happen. We pay this much for these boats - the fit and finish of the compartments should be perfect on a brand new boat. My Cajun's all had this issue. Some compartments closed tight, some had gaps. They all should be the same.

Who decided to put the chrome metal grab bars on the glove box and port bulkhead by the passenger seat? They should be taken out and flogged. :lol: My Triton has the same type of metal grab bar on the glove compartment. The bulkhead mounted one is rubber coated. The metal one gets mighty hot in the Texas sun during a summer tournament. They all should be rubber coated. If I could find one, I'd replace mine in an instant.

That clamshell for routing the cables has to go. Looks so "old". There are much better routing options available today.

Looks like they widened the trolling motor recess... but still doesn't look big enough to hold a Minn Kota pedal. Wonder if it would fit? And I wouldn't have installed the plug on the front like that. It's got to be hard to plug and unplug. I'd have mounted it on the top somewhere, or found another way to route it.

Color.... When are we going to see some Blues? Greens? Etc... I never really cared for that white / orange / yellow / black combination... but then again - I liked my purple / black / silver boat the best, so maybe I'm just weird. :lol: I'm just so tired of that color combination. No offense if you have that color (my fishing buddy has that color on his Nitro) - but I want to see something "different" on a Nitro. Like maybe a dark metallic blue with a lighter metallic blue stripe with silver pinstripes. Or a full DARK green metal flake boat with a grey running surface and silver pinstripes. Or.....

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

The older z7 dash was 100% fiberglass for sure. My 08 is and i like it a lot more then plastic. I didn't like the chrome cups that the speedo and tach are buried in either so i yanked them.

Your right on the wheel, it get out of center like on trip one.. :lol: At least mine did...

I dont like the clamshell vent either. They easily could have routed the hydraulic lines thru the glass with the strain relief grommets ive seen others use and the fuel line could be up in the rigging tube with the primer ball down inside. It would look a lot cleaner for sure. For cable steering the clamshell would still need to be there.

The recess will hold a minkota pedal. Its the same size as my o8 from the looks of it and the minnkota fits in there with room to spare. I done like the new plug location either. Looks like it could be a problem.

How about this green with gold and white? I know its not a "new" one but close enough... I have never seen another one with these colors anywhere in my area.

New Boat 015 small.jpg

Back