anyone ever hear of this????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carli Drake

Reaction score
Okay guys and gals......

I've been procrastinating about waterproofing my cover. I called around to a half dozen sporting goods stores inquiring what they had to waterproof my cover.

The tag that probably told me what the material was has discindigrated. (It's a gray Nitro cover that came with the boat).

A guy at one of the sporting goods stores told me to get a gallon of Thompson's water sealer and a paint roller and lay the cover out on the garage floor and roll it on.

Anybody ever try Thompson's water sealer on a cover???????

NOW.....the same guy (when I questioned him as to how many cans of Camp Dry I should buy) said..."Oh only a couple because you are only going to "MIST" the Camp Dry on the cover......you don't want to saturate it so it goes thru the fabric"!!! Okay....but won't the water sealer go thru the fabric!!!!!!

He also told me to use "aqua dry" on the seams before I used either Camp Dry or Thompson's.

Anyone have any thoughts????????

I'm tried of sucking water out of the boat and can't figure out how it's getting into the storage compartments to begin with. All the compartments have a lip around the opening!!

Thanks!

Carli

Carli, If you have the heavy gray cover that came with the boat it's probably a DOWCO cover. Go to the link below and click on their customer service link and ask them what they recommend.
http://www.dowco-inc.com/

It's a 7 oz polyester-duck material, and camp dry will work. Put it on all the seams. That's the likely cause of the leaking.

Craig

My storage compartments stay wet. You cant stop it other than to waterproof your cover.

Its a tracker thing.....

Wolf

In my most humble opinion, I think it is far more effective to tent the cover up so the rain runs off. I only have the water in the boat problem when the water is allowed to pool up on the cover.

Harpo

In addition to the cover waterproofing, I also keep a bucket of Damp-Rid in the floor of the boat. I have been using this for years and have never had a moisture problem. I check and refill it about every 2 weeks or so. You can get the large size bucket and refills at Home Depot.

--J

Before I would use Thompson's on my cover I would get some of the same fabric and test it on it. I think it has a greasy residue and will pick up dirt and grim while both sitting and cruising down the highway. Then that will transfer to anything it touches.. Rods, Line, reels, the Carpet..etc.. Test it before using it..

Later

Max

Carli,

What did you do about this? I can not find "Aqua Dry" the seams. All the stores around here are out of summer stuff like that......

Carlos

Latest posts

Back