Anybody with experience on power washer pump?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
I have a Karcher Power washer and the pump went out...they want $160 to replace it...I told them I'd be right over to pick it up and do it myself. Anybody know what's involved? I went online but, not alot of pump info(replacing) on that particular model.

I think it's a 3000G model......

I did mine on my Troy Bilt. It was just a bolt on deal mine came as an entire assembly. the pump was bolted to the bottom of the frame and driven off the motor by a woodruf key.

Thing is they want $71 for the pump kit + shipping...I only gave $100 for the pump at a garage sale years ago. So I guess I've got my $ worth out of it.....

Oh well:(

Before you change the pump, price a new one. I bought mine from Lowe's for about $179.00. THese power washers are not user friendly for repairs. Think about it.

Barry from La.:)

$179 for a gas washer? If it was...that was a steal. Cheapest I've seen is about $299 for a 2600 PSI. Why anyone needs 2600 PSI is beyond me...1500 will peel paint.

The price of $179.99 was for an electric pressure washer with 1850 p.s.i.. I use mine to clean the exterior of my house, the carport,the driveway and everything else. I can remove paint with this model. Gas is good, but the electric pressure washer fits my needs perfectly.

Barry from La.:)

I've heard that if you have hard water...they won't last.

It's most likely a small vertical vaned plunger pump. If you're lucky, the packings are only burned and an "easy" repack is in order. (Hi/Lo V-packings & O-rings) If it got hot and shattered the pistons (the little ceramic sleeves) you'd be better off with a new pump. If it's a Kranzel style rotary pump (Karcher consumer units can have either) it's not worth a rebuild. I'd replace it. I don't want to knock anyone's machine, but the little boxed (fully enclosed) electric units are built as a disposable item for the most part. Repair is generally outweighed by replace in cost overall.

My former business manufactured pumps and high pressure solutions for many applications, including small private-label manufacturing for many retail outlets.

I have a Troy built as well. There are three caps on the top of my pump that have valves in them. The valves went bad. I found them online for $20 and replaced them. It works like new now. My son ran the thing with no water and burned the water pressure valves.

If you take it apart piece by piece you may be able to find the problem and fix it on the el cheapo side. The parts are readily available on the net. I did not buy the entire repack kit. too much money.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Tee - Is that model 3000G a 3k max psi gas unit? If so, what size hp engine powers it? (That should narrow down the pump model by gpm.)

If your pump does have a manifold, you can unscrew the caps and pop out the valves and check for debris and/or wear. The springs can rust and the seats can pit over time. As Jaws mentioned, they're an inexpensive "drop-in" fix.

Gonna pick it up and fix it myself.....$25 just to look at the damthing!

I swear you cannot get good repair service on anything anymore that they don't try to bend you over!:angry:

Sorry TEE. I know you are upset with the price, and I know you are probably thinking "Rip-off - charge me $25 just to look at it and not actually repair it" - but what should they have charged you to look at it? Free?

If everyone that comes in and has them "just look at it" decided to fix it themselves, how much money would that repair company make each day?

Its not always the repair companies fault that a product costs so much to repair. With wages for employees, parts costs and all the overhead costs associated with running a business, the costs of the repair for a $300 retail item is sometimes just not worth it - for you or the repair company.

I would weigh benefits of repair v/s replace in this case. If it's going to cost you $71 plus shipping for the parts, and you already have $25 involved for the repair shop to look at it - you're well over $100 to fix it. How long will that repair last? How long will repair parts be available if it breaks again? How much is a new comparable model with a warranty?

All the best,

Glenn

The bendover part is where they want to charge $100 for parts when they're not needed.

They'll charge you for the "kit" when the piston probably needs pulled and lubed hopefully, if not...I use the motor for a mini log splitter.

I'll fix it myself and report back how much I spent.

I'm VERY mechanically inclined..just did't really have time to fix it with all the projects I have going right now.

After you spend 20+ years as a toolmaker then pusehed into accounting...you just don't have the "drive" to fix things as you get older.

I might have spent $100...that's what I paid for it used;)

Back