Any Thoughts Or Discussion About The Z18?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a new Z18, March 2017, as I approach a full year's use, I was just wondering if anyone has anything good bad or otherwise to say about this boat. Mine has performed very well and I've been happy with it. I did have the alternator replaced, under warranty, on the Merc 150 four last month since it developed a current draw on the battery even with everything turned off.

Still waiting on delivery of mine, but I am happy to hear more about yours - any pics to share?
I'll get a picture or two of mine to post soon. I don't do that a lot so I actually don't have a good one handy.
I did a package deal with options that I wanted after years of experience boating/ fishing. I had trouble getting local dealers to work with me on making changes. They insist on selling the basic package- I actually drove from Louisiana to Warsaw, MO., Pro's Choice Marine, to get mine. I have it on the tandem trailer and added the Atlas Hydraulic Jack under the 150 Merc. four stroke. I opted for the Fortrex 80 Minn Kota and have been very happy with it after having run the 70 for years on other boats. I also upgraded to the Lowrance Gen III 9" in the dash. I did get the additional console unit. The 150 four has performed excellent for me. I have owned many different boats up to 20' and can say that the Z18 performs beyond its size. It fishes big with plenty of storage- you will love the cooler box and the livewells in the boat. Plenty roomy- both areas. The ride comfort and and handling are excellent. Top speed on the 150 four is just about 60mph and fuel mileage is outstanding- I have about 50 hours run time on mine now. I do use it in saltwater about 4 time a year. Just clean it up and go- no problems- no unusual wear or rust anywhere.

Very nice! Funny the BPS people here also had some issues with my selections of 150 Four Stroke with the 8" Slidemaster JP, and didn't like the color I wanted either (blackout), which I explained was inspired by the good folk's at Pro's Choice Marine in MO. They wanted to argue that the website did say the JP was not available with the Verado, and I had to argue that the 4s was not a Verado... Eventually I got my way :)

I also Opted for the 80 Ultrex TM, and the Tandem Trailer with upgraded Wheels. For electronics I worked into the deal where they install them when it arrives if I buy them through BPS, so I got the new Garmin Echomap Plus 93sv (Console & Bow) with a Ps21 Panoptix transducer for the TM shaft. Threw in the Hydrowave too which I have no experience with whatsoever yet.

What did you go with for a Prop and where did they set your Prop 2 Pad? I went with the 23p Tempest versus the standard SS prop which I believe was a 24p. Not positive on the P2P setting just yet for this configuration, but a few people on a different forum have suggested 2.5" below pad to start. At least I can adjust it as needed.

The Ultrex- I've been looking at it. I didn't like the older electric motor steering due to the noise and the delayed response- or should I say slow response. We have to dodge a lot of stumps here in my world. How does the Ultrex operate compared to the standard cable steering? How responsive is Ultrex to needed quick changes in direction? That spot lock feature must be great. If it weren't for that, I'd be totally happy with mine. Props- I went with the standard SS prop and have found no real advantage in a normal range of prop height. There really doesn't seem to be particular sweet spot on height. I watch my water pressure and try to run as shallow as possible most of the time. I run and fish areas that can have long stretches in canals that are not more than 4.5 deep. For years I have run the SE300 hydrofoil device that bolts directly to the cavitation plate above the prop. I added one to the Z18 and love it. Two things it does are invaluable to me. one, fully loaded with partner and gear water and fuel, can easily get out of the hole on plane with less than 3000 RPM. Two, stay on plane at much lower speeds. There is just no downside for me on the unit. Ran the same unit on a 20' Stratos, 200hp for years with the same result. There are plenty of naysayers about this but I have to live with my own results. ha.

I don't ever say never, so I'll store that nugget of experienced information about the hydrofoil - thank you for that. As for the Ultrex, I expect a short learning curve in regards to how it handles and the "ramp up" time I hear it has but I usually catch on pretty quick to new things pretty quick. The spot-lock is going to be amazing I am sure. It may take me longer to master the use of side-imaging and forward imaging with the new Garmin units. I've only worked with traditional down scanning so lots of new things to master this next fishing season.

This is a dealer picture of the color scheme on my boat- Mine has the upgraded high back seats not illustrated in this pic.
5791757_0_311219691600_1[1].jpg

I have installed the matching passenger console and, although it is simple to remove, I've left it in place from the beginning . The storage space in the glove box is so handy I hate to consider removing it.

Nice! I looked at a similar boat to that on the Pro's Choice Marine website when figuring out what I was going to order color-wise. They also had one the color combination I ultimately decided on too, which they call "blackout". The only changes in my order being the steel fender tandem trailer vs the fiberglass fenders (cuz I like to climb on them), the carpet (charcoal), and the seats black with blue highlights and charcoal inner to give the seats a bit of depth to the look. Just picked up the Garmin EchoMap Plus 93sv units this weekend as well. Now just need a boat to everything on...
:cool:

Attachments

• Z218_Blackout_001.PNG
    Z218_Blackout_001.PNG
    293.3 KB · Views: 229
That Blackout looks good- I haven't seen one here anywhere. BPS ran the 93SV on sale here for $500 off. I got one mainly due to the 9" view and good mapping software that came with that package. Interested in the quickdraw feature as well. BTW I recently purchased the NITRO front ladder step that bolts on to the front of the trailer. I really like it a lot. I load/unload by myself some and it's a nice addition for trailering activity.

Have any of you guys who custom ordered your Z18 received the bass pro gift card? I was just informed that because my boat was not a dealer stock boat that I'm not eligible. Found this disheartening that a non stock boat ordered with over $10000 of extras isn't eligible. Aside from this I can't wait until she gets here. It has been far too long since I have been on the water.

Congrats everyone on your rigs. Looks great.

Yes, both of my last 2 Nitro boats were custom orders (i.e. not in-stock) and in my cases custom paint & upgrade options, and I did receive the incentives last time, and was told I once again qualify for them this time since my purchase was during the time those incentives were in place. Not sure why your purchase would not be eligible Chris, but you could contact the main office in Missouri and ask the question. No harm in asking.

Yes, both of my last 2 Nitro boats were custom orders (i.e. not in-stock) and in my cases custom paint & upgrade options, and I did receive the incentives last time, and was told I once again qualify for them this time since my purchase was during the time those incentives were in place. Not sure why your purchase would not be eligible Chris, but you could contact the main office in Missouri and ask the question. No harm in asking.

When was your most recent purchase? I definitely want to call them. I spoke with Nitro via internet chat and they said no. Im definitely not giving up on this lol.

Most recent purchase is the one that is sitting on the loading dock in MO awaiting transportation, and I did confirm with my BPS Sales person that my purchase is eligible for both of the current incentives ($1000 gift card, $200 brand merchandise offer, VIP Card 3 years - due to being a Veteran). This was the custom order Z18 that I mentioned before. My previous purchase before that, which I also received the incentives, was in 2013. My understanding was that all orders on those select models listed are eligible for these incentives, not just in-stock.

Most recent purchase is the one that is sitting on the loading dock in MO awaiting transportation, and I did confirm with my BPS Sales person that my purchase is eligible for both of the current incentives ($1000 gift card, $200 brand merchandise offer, VIP Card 3 years - due to being a Veteran). This was the custom order Z18 that I mentioned before. My previous purchase before that, which I also received the incentives, was in 2013. My understanding was that all orders on those select models listed are eligible for these incentives, not just in-stock.

Thank you very much for this information.

That Blackout looks good- I haven't seen one here anywhere. BPS ran the 93SV on sale here for $500 off. I got one mainly due to the 9" view and good mapping software that came with that package. Interested in the quickdraw feature as well. BTW I recently purchased the NITRO front ladder step that bolts on to the front of the trailer. I really like it a lot. I load/unload by myself some and it's a nice addition for trailering activity.

Thanks Larry. I was sold on that Blackout color pretty quick when I saw it. I looked seriously at the 93sv units they had on sale, great price, but elected to the new "Plus" units because I wanted the touch screens and the Wifi capability to a tablet using the new Active Captain app. Got any pics of your boat for us Larry?

Responding to the issue about the VIP Card- I got one, without question, with my purchase even though it was purchased through Pro's Choice Marine, a contracted Nitro Dealer and not BPS. Two years worth of discount on various BPS products. 10% on a lot of non BPS branded product and 20% on BPS branded stuff.

I have spoken to a few guys at Pro's Choice Marine this past year, and love their website. I even considered buying a boat from them, but shipping was going to eat-up any savings. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Yeah, I drove the 700 miles up there, from Baton Rouge, because I was so aggravated with dealers in this area. I've been asked about pics of mine- It's a year old now with about 60 hours on the engine.

Attachments

• IMG_3977.jpg
    IMG_3977.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3979.jpg
    IMG_3979.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 204
I've had two issues during this past year. One, I replaced the bunks on the trailer. I had one that was split very badly where a lag screw was attached on the back. The wood used on these from the factory is really cheap stuff. I ordered replacements, from a dealer on Amazon, already padded and wrapped made from treated lumber. Tracker said that they might replace them under warranty after they took a look but would use same ole cheap lumber that goes out on all the trailers. I passed on that. Two, the engine alternator developed a short somehow and was discharging the starting battery all the time (3 amps), even with the key off. I discovered it before I lost my battery and local BPS installed a new alternator under warranty. I went ahead and installed a Perko battery disconnect on the engine battery as an additional safe guard. If anyone hasn't realized it- be sure you know that Mercury's Gold warranty program does NOT cover electrical problems. I had the Gold plan but recently got an invite from Mercury to upgrade to Platinum. Platinum DOES cover all electrical. Due to this issue, I took the upgrade to get a full 5 years of full coverage including anything electrical.

Latest posts

Back