Any Dakota owners out there?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an 2002 Dakota that has required the A/C to be fixed at the Dealer 3 times. It has just failed again.

(System leaked out). I live in FL where A/C is a must. I've got the club cab 4.7L V8. I've also had a few other weird problems. Radio sometimes doesn't work on cold rainy days? It did this probably 4 times last winter. And every now and then the windsheild washer pump won't pump. I really have liked most everything else about the vehicle. HOWEVER, I'm starting to think (okay I thought) I have a lemon. I just want to get some input from other Dakota owners to see how they like their trucks. I'm thinking of trading in for a 4.7L 4x4 Dakota (mine's not 4x4), but maybe I should look at other vehicles. I really liked the Dakota for it size with a V8, but if they are all like this maybe I should give up on Dodge. Please no bashing from GM and FORD owners (but I know you will).

Hey Bill,I am a chrysler 14 year master tech & worked at a dodge dealer the whole time all I know is dodge,your proplems are uncommon but a/c proplems 3 times is proply because of the dealer or techs misdianoises mainly most leaks are missed unless dye is used in the charge of 134a (feon).The radios are sometimes a proplem but ANY BRAND CAN HAVE PROPLEMS they are only machines ford & checvy have there proplems also I have owned 2 dakotas great trucks but I only own dodge because I work on them & there are fringe benifits when something goes up.Just keep your oil changed & you should not have any major proplems. Also I have seen lemons over the years but mainly its the techs lack of knowlege or wierd simple proplem that is VERY hard to fix So good luck Dont get discouraged.Call chrylser they will do almost anything to make you happy.

I have an 01 Quad dakota with the V8... So far have not had any issues, but have only had it about 3-4 months.

It sounds like you have a lemon, or atleast one that was put together on a friday at quittin' time.

I have a 2000 Quad cab 4x4 with the 4.7L V8 and have had no problems at all. 57,000 miles and still going strong..Gas mileage is the only thing that I don't like....

It proply needs A evaporator or condensor like I said it must be dianoised properly.

Remember guys....a few gremlins does not make a lemon!! If the same dealer is working on it then they know they haven't found the problem yet. Keep taking it back under warranty till they get it right.

TOXIC

i own an 02 Dakota Quad cab with the 4.7 v8. Mine has about 44k on it now and its been a great vehicle. The only problem i have had with mine is one of the ball joint boots ripped and needed to be replaced. My only gripes with it are its a gas pig and the ball joints have no zerk fitting(this one really bugs me). This Dakota has been by far the best vehicle i have ever owned. I havent had to put a dime into it yet other then a new set of tires just last week and normal oil changes.

Bill is yours a manual transmission? i read just the other day that they are recalling the manuals because sometimes the wireing harness can chafe on the clutch pedal causing some electrical issues. I wojnder if thats what you have going on with your radio. I think Greg is right mabyt the dealer techs arent diagnosing it right. I know all about lemons and bad dealers. My last truck(not dodge) was a nice ripe lemon(Tox knows the story) and the dealers around my area are so imcompetent i doubt they could diagnose a flat tire.

So greg you want to make a trip to mass and help me put a set of HO cams sand a ho manifold in my truck?

4.7 V8's - what kind of gas mileage are you getting?

Overall?

Towing?

Thanks!

me!

I get about 13 in town 17 freeway and about 13 towing. Thats driving lightly, if i put my foot in it its uses lots more. The 4.7 is a peppy motor that loves to rev, its hard not to put your foot in it a bit. It just sounds so nice when you step on it :) My truck is a 4x4 with the 4 full size doors and it weighs in a just under 5000#, The total weight is pretty close to a full size chevy ext cab or a f150 and i get similar milage. Its really not that bad but i would like it to be better.

About the same as Jim B... no real difference between normal round town driving and towing the boat.

Most of the time, I forget the 901 is even back there.

It does sound nice when you put the petal down tho...

I get about the same, except when towing the 929 and then it is about 9. Not good when you make long hauls....

Mike what gears do you have? I have the 3.55's in mine with the oversize 265/70 16 tires. On the freeway with this setup i can run on the freeway in third gear and it's perfect. If i run in overdrive it actually does worse on gas because its lugging too much.

I have a 1995 Dakota Club Cab, 5.2L V8, 5 speed, 3.27 rear, 2 wheel drive. It gets 16 MPG city driving and 20 MPG highway, only about 10-12 towing. I have had to replace the radiator, the AC compressor, and the thermostat (what a pain where they buried it) all sooner than I thought they should have been needed (within the first 70,000 miles.) There was also an early issue with the clutch interlock switch when new that was fixed under warranty after 3-4 trips to the dealer (I told them where the problem was but they tried everything else first before listening to me.)

The radio periodically stops working, seems to be associated with very wet weather, and then starts again when it feels like it. Nobody can find out why, so I just carry a small solar radio and use that when the radio is taking a rest.

I've used synthetic oil since the first oil change and the engine feels like the day I bought it. I'm happy with the preformance, but not with the early failures and quirks. I put on helper springs when it was new and it will haul 1800 pounds of ceramic tile with no sweat. It's 9 years old and 128,000 miles and I don't hesitate to take it anywhere, even towing on long trips, but I'm now looking to replace it with a Toyota Double Cab for more passenger room when we take out the boat.

I had a 1999 V-6 4X4 Dakota for 4 years and now have a 2003 V-8 4X4 Dakota Club Cab and have never had any problems with either one. Some of the minor factory things from new maybe, but these were corrected by the dealer quickly. Sounds like maybe you got that one that every manufacturer makes once in a while.

I'm glad to see there are satisfied Dakota owners out there. Thank you all for your inputs. I guess for now I'll take it back again to see if they can fix the A/C and washer pump. I'll re-think trading after that. I'd like to have 4x4, but I'm not sure if I'd really use it. All of the ramps I use are concrete. Since the boat is 1 year new I am probably not ready to launch at a "questionable" ramp. I think I also have a case of the "want new 4x4 truck syndrome". Maybe its Teri's fault.

Back