Any carpenters or contractors out there?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
O.k. I have a side porch with a block foundation, with three concrete steps leading to it. Molly the wonder mutt dug herself a cave under them and they are collapsing. I am going to bust them out and replace them with wood. Do you think I should attach a 2x10 to the block and attach the risers to that, or would it be o.k. to use those mounting brackets they sell for deck joists?

The hangers would be easier, but I don't know if they would support the steps.

Rich D

During my school years I worked in residential construction. So I could try and help.

The joist hangers or Tico brackets are strong, but it really depends on the span of the step. My concern would be how are you going to attach the joist hangers to the block? Thats the weak link! You will need to use masonary nails, but the joist hangers usually have small holes for attaching to a header. Nailing the brackets to the block may break them up during the hammering process. They sell special nails for them that are very narrow.

You could also buy precut stringers in Home depot or Lowes, and nail the stringers to the inside of the block. That's the way I would go. And if the span is long or the step a little spongey in the middle you could add another precut stringer to the center. Try 5/4 pressure treated wood for the actual setps and/ or risers. It comes out really nice with that dimension, and they have a slight rounded edge to them.

Hope this helps.

If I went with the joist hangers, I would use the tap-cons.

I will probably go with the 2x10. I am getting the pre cut risers, since it will only be three steps and only about 24 inches wide.

Thanks!

Rich D

Check the building codes first. I would bet that if the porch/deck/stair is over a certain height, then a ledger board must be attached to the house with lag screws or lag bolts.

Normally, the ledger would attach to the rim joist so that the landing is the same height as the interior floor. Some people prefer a 7" rise to keep rain and snow out but that would still put the top of the deck joists above the level of the block. (assume 1-1/2" for a single sill plate or 3" for a double sill plate plus the depth of the interior joists). A small house might have 2x8 joists but 2x10 or 2x12 is more common. Depending on the exterior, you could have up to one inch (sheathing and clapboard or vinyl) before a hanger nail would even hit the rim joist. Over time, the nails would bend because of this gap.

Red,

At the point where the stairs are, the porch deck is only about 4 feet above the ground. Like I said this is a block foundation with a concrete deck. There are no joists to attach a ledger to. It is going right onto the block.

Rich D

Please clarify. Are you only knocking down the steps but keeping the cement landing and its block foundation?

Red,

Yeah. The steps go to a porch roughly 8x12. The steps are block, coated with cement. I am just pulling them out and replacing with wood.

Rich D

Rich, given the fact that the steps are 4ft above grade I would install a ledger with galv lag screws and lag shield or a galv bolt and double expansion shield. Both available at HD or Lowes.

Even if the original steps didn't have a railing, newer codes may call for a rail on any step higher than 24".

If you don't installs, then bring the stringers in a bit and use the hangers to attach to the ledger. If you need rails reduce the ledger to fit between the stringers and nail or bolt them into the end of each ledger. Then screw the 2x2s directly to the stringer and match the pitch of the stringer with a 2x4 and go fishing!

Red,

Thanks. I replaced the old rusty galvanized railing around the porch with wood to match the attached deck, so I plan on putting up a wood hand rail to tie it all in.

Rich D

Back