Any advice for a new Tahoe owner?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Theys2

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am a new owner of a 2006 Tahoe Q4 S/F. I have never owned a fiberglass boat or a boat with a I/O motor. Is there any advice a newbie needs to know before putting this on the water? I ordered a Keel Shield to protect the fiberglass, but I don't have any experience with the I/O and don't want to do anything stupid. I have another boat (2004 grizzly 1654 with 25 hp outboard) so I know the basics. Really looking for advice on using the I/O or tricks for using the larger boat. Any help is appreciated guys.

congrats man! Can we see some pics of it? I have a buddy interested in those Tahoe's, so let me know what You think of them.........I'm not an I/O person unless its 1500HP, so I can't help ya there

Welcome, my wife has been DROOLING over the yellow Q4 SF since it came out!! You will not get as many I/O advice as you'd like, as most of the folks on this site (not all) run outboards on their fishing, fish/ski and pontoon boats.

Which motor did you go with? The standard 135hp 4banger or the 190 or 220 hp V6?

Pics in my folder.

The boat has the standard 135 hp motor. I think it will go plenty fast enough and not suck down as much fuel. That's a lot of savings at $2.50 a gallon.

JPT,

a few things about I/Os. remember that if you put it in the water early in the year. it is imparitive that you get all the water out of the the heads or they will freeze and crack. if of course you live in a cold climate.

other than that, it is just like the engine in your car. bring it in for your 20hr check up.

change the oil after every season, the plugs will last you many years.

as far as performance. trim it all the way in and mash the throttle. slowly bring the trim up untill the boat is up on plane. if you over trim it you will loose performance and the prop will areate (slip). i find most runabouts run great around 1/4 of the trim gauge. i grew up with I/O baots. i own my first out board now. i would nver by a pleasure boat with an outboard. the I/O will be lot more quite and you get more swim platform space.

good luck with the new rig.

GregD

Back