Another Tire/Trailer problem

• Thread starter Jason L [URL]http://i5.tinypic.com/140glqw.jpg[/UR
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason L

Reaction score
Hi,

Do I need to raise my trailer hitch ball any higher? It has a 4" lift right now. I am asking because both tires are balding on the outside and need to be replaced.

Also, what tire pressure do you all run in your trailer tires?

Thanks

140glqw.jpg

http://i5.tinypic.com/140glqw.jpg

Jason - your rig looks nice and level. I doubt you need to raise it any more. As I understand, the level of the tongue should be even or just slightly leaning down. If you don't having handling issues, then you've got it right. As for the tire wear, looks like its wearing more on the outside AND inside edges of the tire. That seems to be a classic sign of underinflation. The tracker tires I have (appear to be the same as yours) recommend optimal pressure at 50psi (that's in the owner's manual for the trailer as well). Frankly, I think you need new tires! Nice rig regardless.

Ya I am going to get new tires this week. Do I have to go to the tracker dealership to get them? Who installs trailer tires?

A trailer should sit level when hooked to the tow vehicle. From the pics you's looks pretty good but the tires look like they have been run low of air causing them to wear on the outsides and leaving the middle with a lot more tread. Check the link I stole from someone else.
http://www.shorelandr.com/pages/o_tirewear.html

Jason - don't need to go to a tracker dealer. Most tire shops should be able to do it for you. From what I've read on this board and the BFHP, Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are the way to go. Walmart may have them and if they have a tire shop as well, you could probably get them mounted there. Or, you can order them from Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) and have a tire store affiliated with Tire Rack mount them. CALL FIRST to make sure the shop can do it. Those options should be more reasonable than a Tracker dealer. Then again, if you like your dealer and have little other options . . .

Jason, Make sure you replace them with a radial tires and get them balanced. DO NOT replace the with the bias type tires like the Tracker ones on there now. Otherwise, you will more than likely get the same "crappy" wear patterns. I had patterns like that too on the original Tracker tires and the second set of non-tracker bias ply type tires.

Jason, the original tires on my PT-185 were looking just like your's before I replaced them. I replaced them with Goodyear Marathons that I bought at Wal-Mart. I checked Tire Rack and the local Goodyear store and saved about $30 per tire by going to Wal-Mart. They did the mount and balance and the only problem I had was they didn't inflate the tires to the proper pressure. That was easy to fix. Not many tires that Wal-Mart mounts get inflated to 50 psi. Here's the good part about dealing with Wal-Mart....after the first trip I made with the new Goodyears I backed over one of my metal chocks I had left in my driveway. I got it right in the sidewall and it cut right into the tire....less than 100 miles on the tires and one of them is ruined. Wal-Mart replaced it without a whimper, no charge.

Don't let anybody talk you into regular car/truck tires. No matter what they tell you they are just not made to take the flexing in the sidewall that boat trailers place on them. No matter what brand you choose, just be sure they are rated for trailer use.

Harpo

I just had 2 Goodyear Marathons put on my Nitro trailer to replace the crappy Tracker Marine tires because the side wall blew out going down the freeway last weekend. Only about 3000 miles on them with no signs of abnormal wear on the tread. I allways ran them at 50psi so it wasn't an underinflation problem there just crap korean rubber. The Marathons cost me $130.00 mounted and ballanced out the door but I put the trailer on jack stands and carried them in to the tire shop. Most tire shops can order them if they don't stock them. Your size looks the same as mine -- 175/80/R13ST load range C.

ok im sold.. ill be getting the goodyears. Thanks for the input everyone :)

Don't overlook Carlisle Trailer tires. They make a great radial and I have had no problems with them. They are probably slightly cheaper than Goodyears because they don't advertise as much.

I went with Carlisle and so far so good.

Those Bias Plies are JUNK!:angry:

I hope you guys have better luck with your Carlisles when my father did with his. He had 4 tread seperations in one year on his boat trailer when he had them. The killer is he trailers very infrequently, like maybe 1000 miles a season tops. His boat is also way lighter then the weight rating on the tires. He bit the bullet and replaced them with Goodyears a move he is yet to regret.

My Goodyears are 6 years old and going on 100k miles, tread is still good with even wear and no dryrot. I hate Goodyear truck and car tires but nothing else will go on my trailer.

BTW Jason

It looks like your trailer is actually a little nose high in that picture. I would take it to a nice level surface and put a level on the trailer. If its high you might need to drop it an inch.

I just noticed mine came with goodyear radials from the factory.

Installed the Goodyears last night w/ 50 PSI, installed new Eagle FF, and new Transom Saver and now the boat tows much easier and smoother. (This is probably due to the new tires w/ correct inflation than the FF or Transom saver :p )

Thanks for the advise.

Back