Another question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Fish

Reaction score
Hello again...

I plan to take my 10 year old son and/or 16 year old daughter fishing in our new boat. I realize that many bass fishermen do not wear life jackets when the boat is in calm waters. But, I want to set a good example for my kids. So, what do you all think about the compact inflatable life vests that are on the market? They seem to be a great option. Cabela's has one for around $80 that has manual and automatic inflation. Any thoughts good or bad???

Thanks again,

gfish

Don't let them get wet or out in the sunlight in high humidity. My went off in the boat ($25) to replace. I do like the way they feel tho.

Jeff

The newer models arent as bad about basic dampness/humidity... they have to be pretty well dunked to auto inflate...

Which means, don't store them in the livewell.

Things are a pain in the butt to get out of there when they are inflated.

Or so I've heard....:D

I few guys in my club use the Sospenders and like them. I am still old school and were the vest. I know it's stupid but I prefer the vest over the automatic inflation types since my luck it wouldn't inflate and I'd sink like a rock.

Rule in my boat is that the vests go on when the big motor is fired up. Clients included. SOSpenders by law have to be worn all the time if you fish a tournament.

TOXIC

I also put mine on any time the big motor is running..I am in such a habit of doing it that I will put it on even to idle to another spot 50yds away. Whenever i hit the key,I just put it on without even thinking.

SOSpenders probably would be the safest thing to have for those cold days though. There's a much better chance I'll fall in the drink while fishing than crash and burn while running.

I wear a vest or SOSpenders the entire time I am in the boat. I wear the vest more often in the winter always wear the SOSpenders during the warm months.

Hello everyone...

Thank's for putting it in perspective. I like "when the big motor is running" approach. Since my 10 year old will be required to wear a life jack at all times, I may get one of those fanny packs to wear when the motor is not running. Just wanting to set a good example.

Thanks again for all the great responses!

Back